Lancer Register Forum banner

Anybody Focus RS > Evo?

971 views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Lengthmeister 
#1 ·
Hi,

Im contemplating making the move from a focus rs which is bluefinned and decat (around 250 bhp) to an evo, probably fq300. Can anybody advise me as to what sort of performance difference i can expect and also running costs. Has anybody here made the switch and not regretted it?

Thankyou

#4 ·
I had a Focus RS for about a year before swapping for an MR FQ-320 last September.

I had loads of problems with my RS (always felt like they hadn't finished putting it together properly) and the Evo feels much better built.

Performance wise, I've sort of got used to the Evo now and it's difficult to remember how quick the RS was in relation, if that makes sense. Sure you'll notice the difference though!

I think the most obvious thing you'll notice is you'll no longer be fighting the steering wheel every time you put your foot down. I always hated the seating position in the RS too. Far too high. In the Evo, you feel like you're sitting in it, rather than on top of it.

Running costs don't seem hugely different. I never got much more than 210-220 miles out of a tank in the RS and in the Evo it's about 200'ish. Obviously your insurance is likely to go up a bit.

Only downside of the change, in my opinion, is looks. The RS is still a stunning looking car.

#5 ·
Tim - as said above I've just sold my RS and come back to an EVO (For good - wanna bet me anyone ?? :D )

I got the RS as a cheaper alternative to an evo and loved it at first. It is cheaper to run, but not really by that much (about £500 / year based on 10k miles inc insurance).

Soon found the torque steer to be a pain and pretty dangerous TBH, my lass was terrified of flooring it (and she likes putting her foot down).

As said above the seats are too high and uncomfortable on a long journey. They look okay but evo's look superb.

The performance and handling of the evo's is on another level, along with the feeling of being more mature (I felt like a boy racer in the RS) !

#7 ·
Hi,

We are in the fortunate position to have both, the Evo being mine and the RS is my wife's.

Looks:
RS is a great looking car but the Evo is pure drama.

Performance:
RS is a really quick car but the Evo would monster it (especially now I have a new ECU)

Handling:
The RS has loads of grip but does understeer a bit and the torque steer is dangerous, I have had the bugger switch lanes onn me whilst pushing through a sweeping left hander.
Evo is outstanding, very planted and inspires confidence at all times

Running Costs:
RS - 24mpg but cheaper insurance and servicing. We have found though that it very heavy on front tyres :crackup:
Evo - 20mpg, big insurance, servicing

Summary:
RS is a great car and very capable but hindered by the torque steer.

Evo is just superb.

A bit biased yes but I reckon you are just looking for justification to get an evo anyway :crackup: :crackup:
Whatever you do, dont by a bloody scoob.

#11 ·
JTAI170 said:
Well ok then, let's take that argument and say.....The Evo....it's a bloody Lancer!

I totally agree that the Evo is the better car, but IMHO, the FRS is a slightly more stylish looking car than the Evo.
Thats a valid argument but look at it this way,the lancer has evolved,the focus is still a focus and it has reached the dizzy heights of getting sorted by cosworth and now thats the end of it.

I love fords dont get me wrong,owned many over the years but the focus imho should never have got of the back of the beermat it was drawn on :crackup: :crackup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.