Lancer Register Forum banner

MR340 against BMW M3

3K views 31 replies 22 participants last post by  Thermos 
#1 ·
Hi there,

Im looking at these two cars this weekend and will buy one of them.

Before anyone states the obvious, yes they are two totally different beasts. I like certain aspects of each of them.

M3-Build quality, looks, speed, comfort, but are common and the engines ive heard have niggling issues

Evo- Handling, fun, more special, fast, but a bit tacky and very expensive to run

The main reason i want both is id like a fast car that i will keep standard so the obvious choice would be a fully loaded 340 evo or loaded m3.

Having looked in 'autocar', a comparable evo 6 extreme with 340 bhp is slightly slower than the m3 once the 0-60 traction is out the equation. I dont intend to traffic light race against saxos and like useable power

ie m3 60-100= 6.7
30-70= 4.1

evo extreme 340 60-100= 6.8
30-70=4.5

I am really stuck, so if anyone has any experiences with both or any advice i would really appreciate it! What are they like to live with etc..

Many thanks

Keith

See less See more
#2 ·
Fast_keith said:
Hi there,

Before anyone states the obvious, yes they are two totally different beasts. I like certain aspects of each of them.

M3-Build quality, looks, speed, comfort, but are common and the engines ive heard have niggling issues

Evo- Handling, fun, more special, fast, but a bit tacky and very expensive to run

The main reason i want both is id like a fast car that i will keep standard so the obvious choice would be a fully loaded 340 evo or loaded m3.

Having looked in 'autocar', a comparable evo 6 extreme with 340 bhp is slightly slower than the m3 once the 0-60 traction is out the equation. I dont intend to traffic light race against saxos and like useable power

ie m3 60-100= 6.7
30-70= 4.1

30-70=4.5

I am really stuck, so if anyone has any experiences with both or any advice i would really appreciate it! What are they like to live with etc..

Many thanks

Keith
their both nice cars mate for all round fun it has to be the evo but the m3 is very nice too u will soon get bored of it, u can only do so much with it

#3 ·
Hi Keith
Ive owned 2 M3's and currently an Evo 7 Running approx 320BHP
Here are the Pros and Cons

M3 - Holds Value - Build Quality - Much Lower running costs - There engines are perfect dont listen to stories
Much less Room, You cant mod it!!! , Its bland
But amazing car

Evo 7,8 - Huge Running Costs - If your running either on a budget you have to buy an M3 - It is so much cheaper to run do not Let Anyone tell you otherwise. You get well noticed, Amazing fun to drive, very practicle Space wise. Depreciation is worse than BM

Ive owned 2 M3's as I said - I love them and Will not hear a bad word about them. And I will probably buy another eventually.
But my Evo - I have to confess I LOVE IT . For all the faults - ROad Noise , Servicing Intervals , Not that well built, lack of toys etc etc etc. I have No regrets selling my M3 and buying this...
It is like dating a supermodel!! So much fun but will bleed you dry.!!

Which to buy, I think after owning about every sports car you can buy you need to Experience owning an Evo, It is pure fun, If its not for you sell it and buy an M3...

Im thinking of selling my 7 at moment, Im either buying a 330 or an M3 for 6 months as I have alot of miles to do, But then I will be buying another Evo

The reason I bought the 7 and not a New 8 was to see if I liked and could live with the car and not to lose to much if I decided I didnt like it..

After doing that, I still want and will buy another Evo, But When my childish streak leaves me I will go back to an M3

Oh and Performance Figures - Dont read up on them too much
You buy a 340 and an M3 will not look at you up to 120MPH
and On windy roads - You will be long gone

Hope that helps a little!!!!

Luvie

#5 ·
Flogged my M3 to get an E8 FQ330 and have been a lot happier with it. The Evo is the more fun car with more character but the build quality and customer service is not on a par with the Beemer.

The Evo is better on the track and road than the M3 but it's chavvy image sometimes has me wishing I was sat in my M3 - you get a lot of attention in the Evo but from the wrong people!

The M3 is also cheaper to run than the Evo and more comfy for long distances and commuting.

Ben

#6 ·
EVO/M3

beemers are like a good reliable wife, shes always got your tea on the table?
evos are like having a woman that answers back and says do your own f****ng tea
so if you ask me i like a bit of spice and fire in my life so the choice is yours,
just remember you only live once so enjoy your self while your here, your not here very long so live on the edge for once in your life
no offence to the girls on here we love you all :D
:moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: i like to moon now and again do you

#7 ·
Thanks guys for your opinions. Its a tough one. I totally agree with some of the points. Ill test drive both proparly this weekend and then decide. My heart says evo but my head says m3. I dont think i can go wrong with either. Do you think that the 340 would have the legs on the m3?

#9 ·
I was at that stage ealier this year, like you my head was saying M3 and my heart Evo. I had the same against and for points as yourself.

Two of my mates had an M3 and they both had lots of niggly problems with them. Common was an understatment where i was, even the local pykes had an M3 convertable !!! :eek:

In the end went with my heart though and havn't stopped smiling since. Havn't missed out on all the gismos. Even the misses prefers it to the M3 and she's not a petrol head.

Think you are doing the right thing, try both and see.

Good luck.

#10 ·
Fast_keith said:
Hi there,

ie m3 60-100= 6.7
30-70= 4.1

30-70=4.5

Many thanks

Keith
I have had both of these cars, 2 M3's infact. I reazlly really enjoyed my First M3. The engine is superb as the build and the luxury. If your not tracking, M3 every day. Better residuals (if both cars are say £29K purchase price) and a much nicer place to live.

If you love to track then Evo 340, but saying that it depends on your driver skill and style as the M3 does not hide your faults or flatters your ability like an Evo does.

To sum up, raw driving experience, sensible and comfort M3

Super car killing machine......EVO 340

[ducks for cover :help: ]

#11 ·
i have a fq which was running just a decat 317bhp and raced two m3 evo's e36 and up to 120 no difference then the m3 just pulls for fun bye bye evo, my car is now running around 370 and my car is faster through the gears and same gear sprints but after 140 the m3 starts making ground. they are my experiances all done on run ways ofcourse! ;)

Philg

#12 · (Edited)
Just to give my 2p worth having recently changed from an E46 M3 coupe to an 8 MR FQ340.

The M3 is:

1. Comfortable
2. Luxurious
3. Fast
4. Handles well (or so I thought until I tried the Evo)
5. Very very common
6. Lack of imaginative styling
7. Has issues re: engine rebuild recalls pre '03
8. May project several images of which the most prevalent include "drug-dealer", "rep or business person", "wideboy"

I was comprehensively smoked by all manner of Evos (inc MR FQ320s and 340s) in my M3 both in straight line and twisties. Could only ever embarrass scoobies and even then, not in twisties. If you're an inexperienced driver and especially with RWD cars...think very carefully before you buy one.

The Evo 8 MR:

1. Much more comfortable than I thought it would be
2. Not as luxurious
3. Stupendously fast on straight and twisties
4. Not common
5. Styling grew on me...v aggressive in the flesh
6. Gets more admiring looks than my M3
7. May project "chav" image but generally people remember Evos from Mitsi's rally pedigree and I would say respect you as a car enthusiast much more if you're an Evo owner than an M3 owner
8. Much more easily moddable to beastly magnitudes
9. Costs not that high (free servicing for me) and fuel economy no worse than wife's mini cooper S!
10. Puts a smile on my face every single time I drive it

Since getting the 340 I have easily embarrassed many E46 M3s and M3 CSLs (although to a lesser extent). On the track...there is no contest...Evos rule.

Whatever you buy, you'll get a nice car. Can you bear the thought of knowing than you can be easily smoked by Evos though? :rolleyes:

#14 ·
Have a look at the attached as they have a very detailed set of performance data on most high-performance cars

Fast Saloons

#15 ·
Hi mate....

For what it's worth, I was recently looking at standard M3s, CSLs and MR 340s

Standard M3.....found it dull.....absolutely hated the numb steering and didn't think it was that quick....although it certainly pulls like a train at the top end.....common!!!

CSL......more like it....much better steering feel, superb handling and awesome soundtrack....loved it

MR 340......shockingly fast, even compared to my old FQ 300.....sublime cornering pace and handling.....virtually untouchable on the road......rare sight!

Got the 340......luvin it big time

Go with your heart!

DBMFQ

#19 ·
funny how where you're from colors perceptions.

here in the Philippines, Evos are 1) MUCH MUCH more common than M3's, and also 2) MUCH less expensive!

there are maybe 6-7 E46 M3's in the entire country, whereas there are at least 10x that many Evos. an '02 M3 would cost easily twice an Evo8!

so if you talk to real enthusiasts here (and by that, i mean, people who have actually had first hand behind-the-wheel experience driving bonafide performance cars,) the vast majority would prefer an M3 over an Evo.

its always a case of, whatever is rarer, is dearer isn't it?

similar situation with Scoobys and Evo's. Evo's are so common here, but Scooby's are relatively uncommon. So if you show up in an STi, the car gets more oohs's and ahhh's than an Evo.

Just an observation from halfway round the globe.

Cheers!

P.S. I'd rather have an M3 myself!

#20 ·
Fast_keith said:
Thanks guys for your opinions. Its a tough one. I totally agree with some of the points. Ill test drive both proparly this weekend and then decide. My heart says evo but my head says m3. I dont think i can go wrong with either. Do you think that the 340 would have the legs on the m3?
Keith,

Don't know about the 340 but my almost standard E7GSR (full exhaust is the only mod) was keeping well with the M3 up to speeds of about 120 MPH.

I had the chance to repeatedly race with this M3 for a total distance of more than 6 miles (started from the traffic lights s at least 5-6 times). That was back in Greece (tarmac a bit slippery), I was starting as quickly as I could while trying not to damage the clutch and I could still keep up with the M3 (in fact I was a bit quicker at low speeds). At higher speeds upto 120 I couldn't say which car was faster ... From past experiences I have good reasons to believe that over 120 the extra power (and less transmition losses) of the M3 would come in to play :(

#21 ·
alex_123_fra said:
Since getting the 340 I have easily embarrassed many E46 M3s and M3 CSLs (although to a lesser extent). On the track...there is no contest...Evos rule.
LOL :D :D
The 340, M3 and CSL are all cracking cars, but believe me there is absolutely no way on gods Earth you have "easily embarrassed" a CSL that has been trying. You won't embarrass someone who isn't trying. They hit 100mph in 11 seconds (and continue VERY strongly), so you won't have it in a straight line, and driven properly on track they are astonishingly capable.
I'd say they're near as damn it equal on track (CSL slightly ahead but I would say that :moon: :D ).

#22 ·
Elliot said:
The 340, M3 and CSL are all cracking cars, but believe me there is absolutely no way on gods Earth you have "easily embarrassed" a CSL that has been trying. You won't embarrass someone who isn't trying. They hit 100mph in 11 seconds (and continue VERY strongly), so you won't have it in a straight line, and driven properly on track they are astonishingly capable.
I'd say they're near as damn it equal on track (CSL slightly ahead but I would say that :moon: :D ).
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Mine is based on my experience and I stand by it. I know the CSL was trying as it was a friend who owns it. I agree that they are not far apart which is why I said "to a lesser extent", but if I had spent £40+k on a top end beemer and was beaten (no matter by how much) by a far cheaper standard car, I would also be embarrassed. On track, I also agree CSLs are capable but a properly driven MR FQ340 would not break a huge sweat against one...again based on experience :rolleyes: .

#23 ·
alex_123_fra said:
Just to give my 2p worth having recently changed from an E46 M3 coupe to an 8 MR FQ340.

The M3 is:

1. Comfortable
2. Luxurious
3. Fast
4. Handles well (or so I thought until I tried the Evo)
5. Very very common
6. Lack of imaginative styling
7. Has issues re: engine rebuild recalls pre '03
8. May project several images of which the most prevalent include "drug-dealer", "rep or business person", "wideboy"

I was comprehensively smoked by all manner of Evos (inc MR FQ320s and 340s) in my M3 both in straight line and twisties. Could only ever embarrass scoobies and even then, not in twisties. If you're an inexperienced driver and especially with RWD cars...think very carefully before you buy one.

The Evo 8 MR:

1. Much more comfortable than I thought it would be
2. Not as luxurious
3. Stupendously fast on straight and twisties
4. Not common
5. Styling grew on me...v aggressive in the flesh
6. Gets more admiring looks than my M3
7. May project "chav" image but generally people remember Evos from Mitsi's rally pedigree and I would say respect you as a car enthusiast much more if you're an Evo owner than an M3 owner
8. Much more easily moddable to beastly magnitudes
9. Costs not that high (free servicing for me) and fuel economy no worse than wife's mini cooper S!
10. Puts a smile on my face every single time I drive it

Whatever you buy, you'll get a nice car. Can you bear the thought of knowing than you can be easily smoked by Evos though? :rolleyes:
What does it mean your fuel economy is more or less the same as the Cooper s? What model is the evo you are talking about? And whats your fuel consumption then? /if its possible in l/100km pleeeaseeee/

#24 ·
Elliot said:
Agreed, the CSL is in a different league to both the stock M3 and the Evo 340. It obviously requires more from the driver but if that component is up to it, the CSL is a very rapid car indeed!

Ben

#25 ·
What does it mean your fuel economy is more or less the same as the Cooper s? What model is the evo you are talking about? And whats your fuel consumption then? /if its possible in l/100km pleeeaseeee/
What I mean Brano is that from a 50 litre fill up I get around 280 miles in the Evo (MR FQ340)...which is around the same as my wife's mini cooper S.

They hit 100mph in 11 seconds (and continue VERY strongly), so you won't have it in a straight line, and driven properly on track they are astonishingly capable.
Agreed, the CSL is in a different league to both the stock M3 and the Evo 340. It obviously requires more from the driver but if that component is up to it, the CSL is a very rapid car indeed!
Just to clarify for people unfamiliar with actual performance figures:

Based on 0-100-0 tests from autotrader 2004 and 2005,

M3 CSL
0-100 10.82s
0-100-0 15.25s

Evo IX FQ320 (326bhp)
0-100 10.73s
0-100-0 15.15s

If you really don't believe the MR FQ340 can keep up with a CSL in a straight line (despite a lower powered Evo clearly beating it), I am very happy to oblige in a friendly "test" :rolleyes: . In addition, around the top gear test track, the lap times were:

MR FQ320 1min 26s
M3 CSL 1min 28s

Again, even the model below the FQ340 showing how well it actually handles (no doubt the 340 would be even faster). Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the M3 CSL is not fast in a straight line or around a track, but a lot of people perceive it to be faster than it actually is (and especially when compared to an MR Evo VIII FQ320 and above). The figures and people's own experiences generally say otherwise....people can make their own minds up based on these.

#26 ·
320 and CSL "about the same then". The CSL TG laptime was wet.
340 will be slightly better again but they're basically, in real terms, about equal as I said before - on the road difference will not be noticed when you're talking 1/10ths.
Doesn't really matter, they're all mega cars :cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.