Lancer Register Forum banner

whats it worth e5 gsr (few probs)

869 views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  TomIV 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi Anyone,

i have seen a e5 gsr in white 27,000 miles no history few receipts no mods alarm,ok here goes

Saw the car and noticed that the chassis number(on bulkhead)had been modified chassis number still there and lots of other numbers stamped on a new plate welded over the original area where number should be,next to it where model plate should be has been removed and a new plate with matching numbers as that on new chassis plate.
Next to that is a sticker with phone number on 0777**** so i phoned the number!!!!

To cut a long story was transferd to hampshire police(spoke to there serious vehicle crime unit(but made a rare discovery a very helpful and cheerful police DC)!!! it seems that this car has been ringed and the police identified it and have given it new chassis plate etc (original numbers but new plate due to original one being hacked out by theives)and these other plates to ensure if anyone goes to purchase this car they will be aware of its previous past

Then i carried out a hpi to see what else it threw up and its a cat c total loss as far as i can see its had a hard rear end badly repaired as sound deadning pads put over poor repairs in boot and paint on rear quarters is poor,rest of the car is ok paint work very dull,filthy interior alloys badly corroded ,discs and pads badly corroded no mot or tax

So not much wrong with it!!! and of course the owner denies all knowledge of its past ,forgot to mention the front bumper is shoved across

Please help whats it worth???????

edited to say its on a "s" plate 1998

See less See more
#2 ·
Mate dont buy it, it sounds like a whole load of trouble, save ya cash for a decent ride, sounds like the bloke selling is a BLOODY LIAR as well, anyone with half a brain would notice before like you have that something was'nt right, my own personal slant on these cars is they are very flimsy like they are made of Bake 'o' Foil and i would'nt want to drive around in something that had been in a big shunt, call me a big girl but thats just me

#3 ·
carl
wouldn't go there....even if mega cheap
unless you're going to break it....

do you know if it's been tested after repairs (not MOT) to be verified for road use again ?
+ you'll have spend out after buying to rectify the problems
then
you'll be stuck with a car no-one will want to buy from you when you want to sell it

#6 ·
more info

Cheers for the replys,he has been using it as I have seen the last mots and there from local garages,he has said he bought it not knowing .When the hpi report I did came back it showed up previous serches and one was done last november so I asked and his reply was it was up for sale and somone came to see it and did what I did a hpi and then said he didnt want it as its a cat c total loss,which he failed to mention to me.

It was strange as these small stickers are on the bulkhead and on the o/s/f "B" post and now i found out hidden else where as the police chap said people try to hide the fact it was previously stolen.He mentioned that it may have been stolen either here or in japan to order but would not elaborate.The new plate was fitted by hampshire police with numbers that stay with the vehicle for life which I found out when I called the number and had some lady on the other end asking for the all the numbers this was at 8 pm!!!

Which to me makes the mileage suspect and everything about the car

#8 ·
bargin

I like a bargin like everyone else but saw the car and its local just annoyed that on closer inspection turns out that its been used worse than a plymouth hooker and the guy still says its worth 8 k + just wanted peoples thoughts on value and resale difficulities(although i never asked the latter) i think i will keep looking

#9 ·
I think at the end of the day, the only advice to take is...

DONT touch it, even with a particualrly elongated bargepole!!!

The old saying of 'you gets what you pays for' certainly rings true with Evo's. Spend the time and money finding a good one, with an owner who looks like he (or she) has loved and cherished every moment with the car.

If you buy cheap, you WILL end up spending the "savings" on getting the car to a good state anyways.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.