Lancer Register Forum banner

Going to view an EVO 8, comments appreciated.

1K views 22 replies 8 participants last post by  martianevo 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

This weekend im traveling to view a yellow Evo 8 FQ-300 and all going smoothly and it living up to my expectation will be taking it home with me :D

Im assuming you may guess the member whos car this is, as its an MLR member. Its done 28k miles on an 03 plate, it missed one service by the previous owner and is due one in 500miles. its also had;

330 power upgrade
ralliart flaps
ralliart mat set
stero 6 cd changer
stainless manifold,downpipe and decat

Hes looking for 17k which i think is a more than reasonable price. Hes upgrading to a 9 & this is what he was offered by the main dealer, but would rather a private owner grabbed it at that price. what do you guys all think? with any luck ill soon be a member with an evo for a change lol

im also very curious of the 0-60 times on the FQ models. According to Top gears website the FQ-300 is 5.1 but i thought this was lower? (what would that make the GSR :rolleyes: ) it then goes on to say that the FQ-330 is 4.7, is this true? i read somewhere the FQ-330 was closer to 4.3!

Karl

See less See more
#3 ·
I had a look under articles and then Model info but didnt have the times. As you said anyway, its not like your going to be launching the car, well i certainly wont be lol slipped my clutch to many times in my MR2 doing that. :rolleyes:

#4 ·
Another point you may be able to help me with;

If i end up getting the car the first thing im likely to do is put a new set of tires all round, as the rear ones need replacing soon anyway. I dont do many miles so i should concider getting something good to take me through the winter, what tyre should i buy? i know its mostly down to personal preffrence on these things but would be good to hear some peoples preffered choice.

Cheers, Karl

#5 ·
project 2501 said:
I had a look under articles and then Model info but didnt have the times. As you said anyway, its not like your going to be launching the car, well i certainly wont be lol slipped my clutch to many times in my MR2 doing that. :rolleyes:
Do it three times in a row in your Evo and it will be toast.

Just about the most clutch hungry car you can find! :D

(Its incredibly fun though when it takes off!)

#6 ·
project 2501 said:
Another point you may be able to help me with;

If i end up getting the car the first thing im likely to do is put a new set of tires all round, as the rear ones need replacing soon anyway. I dont do many miles so i should concider getting something good to take me through the winter, what tyre should i buy? i know its mostly down to personal preffrence on these things but would be good to hear some peoples preffered choice.

Cheers, Karl
Menu bar at top -> Forum -> SEARCH!!! ;)

There is a whole forum devoted to tyres and suspension.

#11 ·
cheers,

I hear Toyo R888's are good tyres? its one of those areas like breaks where u wana invest in lol so dont want ne rubbish.

yeh ill give the buysers guide a glance....fair enuff theres a search page etc etc but if we all reffered to that then it would be pointless posting anything, as probably 80% of all topics have been discussed before! but note taken. :coolsm:

#12 ·
Ha project
Just got myself an fq300 with 330upgrade tell u what mate they are the dogs. ive had a 22b which was 350bhp and this thing wastes it i would not buy anything else again.As for 0-60 times i would`nt bother mate because once your rolling anyway these cars just fly i dont think there`s much that will get past you only another (EVO) my advice too you mate is just go for it remember you only live once.

THE STAFFI......

#13 ·
I have an VIII FQ300+powerpack (for sale btw!) ... friend had one of those GPS speed thingies (forget which) and so I did a standing start ONCE - and sensibly (so no silly clutch killing etc). This was two up, plus half tank of fuel and still did 4.42s.

But then, as I'd never do real standing starts (always get it rolling first) I'd agree with other posts ... power (/torque) IN GEAR is far more important ... and impressive in an (any?) Evo!

#14 ·
Reasuring words from staffi :D

cant wait now, picking it up on friday ahead of schedule, ive already ordered a HKS SSQV bov from funky products (Well placed the order) for some reason you have to wait for them to contact you before payment is made. Bought this as the owner tells me the stock one is silent....thats like a bird with no tits lol, pointless! just incase the sale falls threw anyone after a HKS SSQV dump valve? haha! well lets hope it doesnt come to that.

Ill post some pics up as soon as i get it, im from kings lynn in norfolk, so if theres anyone on here in the area give me a shout!

the car is decatted with a stainless steal downpipe, HKS super dragger exhaust, so shud have a lovely grumble....that along with the 330 power upgrade the owner tells me its pushing close to 350bhp (as the 330 upgrade is known to produce 340hp) so with the downpipe and decat hopefully pushing that figure to 350bhp...a nice thought anyway!

Karl

#19 ·
ok what ill do is see what its like over the weekend, its just the first time i went in an evo was with a friend of mine who bought an FQ-330 and all he added to his was a HKS induction kit, but you got a very distinctive bov sound, reasonably loud. and his was standard? according to him he had all the ralliart upgrades, would that of included a diffrent bov? or would it be because of the induction kit?

#21 ·
My FQ330 as standard was only putting out an estimated 300 bhp ATF actual was 224 ATW (I was told they are usually on the money), there appeared to be nothing wrong with it. I now have ECUTEK remap 1.5 bar boost, APS induction/3" exhaust/intercooler giving out 269 ATW 356 ATF est.

So 350 for a standard 330 with induction is very very optimistic. An induction kit does make much odds over the standard one according to other threads on here.

Having said the the car was no slouch and is even better now, numbers mean very little!!

With the APS kit u do get a noise like a atm dump valve but it is a standard one.

The FQ330 has a noiseless one as standard.

Martin

#22 ·
Cheers for your post mate.

but i think you got my words mixed up, i was saying the car is an FQ-300 with the 330 upgrade which is 'apprently' known to give you closer to 340, and what with the downpipe and manifold uprated and the system decatted should hopefully give it 10bhp more (hoping, more wanting to convince my self really) i will also concider a HKS induction kit but havent thought about that yet.

Karl

#23 ·
Sorry didn't see the de- cat bit but I still would be surprised if it'll make more than 340, without a re map. And we'll never know for sure cos ATF numbers are only estimates anyway!. But it will feel like a rocket ship anyways!

I was told that the manifold makes little difference until u start going for more 400 bhp, but am still tempted as it is included in the exhaust mod by my insurance!

martin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.