Lancer Register Forum banner

Problems already

1K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  123456 
#1 ·
Im getting a knocking/banging noise from the n/s front wheel when turning right or going over speed bumps!!!! I have read it could be drop links/Top strut or even broken diff bolts!!!

Also when turning left at speed the rear diff grinds a bit but hey hoe :cry:

I need somebody in the midlands to sort this out before i break down and cry. Its only my second day of ownership! :hammerhea

The only bonus is i have a six month warranty, which is up to £1k and seems to cover these problems.

#2 ·
The warranty may well restrict you to going to certain garages, check that first!

Depends where u r in the midlands

west midlands xtreme in dudley
East midlands Roger clarke motorsport, nr leicester
graham goode racing in leicester
chris variava in notts, main dealer, but a decent one

theres are a couple of others in derby area 2 but cannee remember

Lincoln NR autosport

#3 ·
knocking noise could be CV joint. ask about on here and you'll find someone who can provide you with a 2nd hand one (about £30-40). If you ask Mitsi they'll only supply a new drive shaft at £411 last time I asked.

Get your AYC serviced, ie/ flushed and refilled and that should sort your grinding rear diff problem. (£50)

good luck.

#4 ·
martianevo said:

East midlands Roger clarke motorsport, nr leicester
graham goode racing in leicester
Im a copper in Leicester so these chaps may be ideal.
Theres a main dealer near me but it just sells Mitsi Warriors.

cheers mate :beerchug:

im off down the pub so im not going to worry about it too much. Just been for another blast and it didnt make a single noise :confused:

£80 quid on petrol in two days also :crackup:

#6 ·
im looking at getting the following service done at Graham Goode for peace of mind (although my car was supposedly serviced about 500 miles ago!!!)

C SERVICE EVERY 36,000 MILES (OR 36 MONTHS).

OIL FILTER. £6.18
SUMP PLUG SEAL. £0.84
ENGINE OIL. (FULLY SYNTHETIC 15W 50) £45.00
BRAKE FLUID. £12.75
COOLANT FLUID. £6.63
AIR FILTER. £25.99
GEARBOX OIL. £30.45
DIFF OIL. £11.50
FUEL FILTER. £18.91
LABOUR. (4 HOURS @ £55.00) £220.00
SUB-TOTAL. £378.25
VAT @ 17.5% £66.19 TOTAL.: £444.44

does that look about right?

#7 ·
your front knocking is most likely to be a suspension topmount. you can either pack it with grease or buy a new one. packing it will only prolong its life slightly and will still need replacing.

as for the grinding from the rear diff, theres a fair chance it could be shot. im on my 3rd, luckily it was paid for by the dealer (incompetant dealer) mine was grinding and banging on tight corners.

you could try getting it serviced (mitsi dealer) AYC fluid will be changed and the system will be bled out using a MUTT tool. it costs around £70. if its still banging and clunking then it will need replaced. try and source an evo 6- one as they are much stronger

#8 · (Edited)
cheers for the replies ;)

i think before having the major service im just going to get the AYC oil changed.

Ive just taken it out for another drive and just driven between two roundabouts five times!!!

Its certainly not a grinding noise as if bits of metal are banging about in there. The best way i can describe it is like a pedal cycle's brake when it squeeks a bit, almost as if the wheel is rubing up the arch.

The tyres were changed from snow tyres prior to picking it up and the car didnt make these noises on the test drive. i think the tyres on there are 205 x 50 r16 on the original rims.

Olly Clark at "Roger Clarke Motorsports" has quoted me £330 for the full works servicing but i'll try my local Mitsi dealer first for the AYC change just incase i need to club together alot more ££££ for a new diff :(

This 1k Warranty i have seems to cover it anyway so fingers crossed :blush:

Ashby & Mann Mitsubishi
94-106 Upper Bond Street
Hinckley
Leicestershire
LE10 1RL

01455 250052

3.9 miles from your location

#9 ·
Ashby and mann have not been ralliart approved for long, I don't think they get many evo 's in but should be up to the job of changing AYC fluid! The best dealer in the area is Chris Variava in Notts, the one in Leicester is pants!

The other point to remember is that they have probably never seen an evo other than an 8 and hence will probably struggle with fault diagnosis, Roger clark have, they are not cheap, but are very good.

Good luck

martin

#10 ·
TomIV said:
Im a copper in Leicester so these chaps may be ideal.
Theres a main dealer near me but it just sells Mitsi Warriors.

cheers mate :beerchug:

im off down the pub so im not going to worry about it too much. Just been for another blast and it didnt make a single noise :confused:

£80 quid on petrol in two days also :crackup:
I hope I am not misreading this! You are a policaman who "blasts" around in an Evo and goes down the pub. I hope that isn't an admission of sppeding while under the influence!!! ;) :D

#12 ·
Well mitsi dealer didnt have a clue what i was really on about as he said they have only "done" a couple of Evo 8's.

Ive rang up Graham Goode and he can squeeze it in on Monday and take a look inbetween jobs. Very nice chap indeed! :yak:

Roger Clarke said about £2800 for a rear diff. I hope its gold plated for that :crackup:

#14 ·
well got my car back from Graham Goode today and ive had all the fluids changed in my rear diff and there is no noise at all now :D

£170 quid lighter but very happy indeed. Although they quote about £60 for an AYC service!!! :eek:

spotted a black VI and a white (4-6) up on the ramps with a brembo sticker on the back i think.

#16 ·
Before you spend too much money .Certainly get all the 3 oils changed .I had this done when i boght my e4 as had al sorts of noises from the rear diff area .Ive never haerd a sqeek squark peep out of it since .
Also check with CCC in cirencester for recalls on the E4 ayc Ecu .
You will need the chassis number which all details are on the bulk head in the engine bay .
This could save you from problems .
If you find you have a recall then the item will be replaced FOC i believe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.