Lancer Register Forum banner

What about S-AYC?

960 views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  Aidy 
#1 ·
I'm wondering why so many people in UK choose the Evo IX GT version over GSR. My understanding is that it is not equipped with S-AYC - please correct me if I'm wrong here.

I'm considering a US import, but actually the only thing, which held me back, was lack of S-AYC in the US Spec, as I believe it is the only major difference?

But know I can see that people deliberately resign from S-AYC, why is that?? Is there anyone on the forum, who actually bought IX GSR? I thought S-AYC makes such a big difference in handling and grip?

#2 ·
It's just a snob thing really. On the road a car with S-AYC will handle better, however if you are a professional rally driver doing professional WRC stages then you're probably better off relying on your own driving skills. For most people on public roads having S-AYC is a better option. If it's going to be a road car and you are in the driving range of "poor to very good" then I'd rather have the S-AYC than not. If your driving is constant power-sliding, handbrake turning etc then you may prefer the less muddled control of a non-AYC car.

Asking that question on this forum will only result in the usual knuckle-dragging, chest-beating males scoffing that their non-AYC is "more raw" or a "real man's car" or other cliches they rely on to justify what they drive.

#5 ·
Aidy said:
It's just a snob thing really. On the road a car with S-AYC will handle better, however if you are a professional rally driver doing professional WRC stages then you're probably better off relying on your own driving skills. For most people on public roads having S-AYC is a better option. If it's going to be a road car and you are in the driving range of "poor to very good" then I'd rather have the S-AYC than not. If your driving is constant power-sliding, handbrake turning etc then you may prefer the less muddled control of a non-AYC car.

Asking that question on this forum will only result in the usual knuckle-dragging, chest-beating males scoffing that their non-AYC is "more raw" or a "real man's car" or other cliches they rely on to justify what they drive.
I've had both 8 with s-ayc and now 9gt without

I'm no Tommi mak - but the non s-ayc is a far, far, far better drive - maybe no quicker in the average drivers hands but a lot more FUN and surely thats what it's all about ?

Also remember if your planning on going anywqay near 400/400 spec on the car the S-AYC will sooner or latter blow up in a very expensive way - RS diffs are a lot stronger.

#7 ·
I am not sure I can agree with Aidy. I think the handling is better in a non AYC car but the ROADHOLDING isn't as good. The AYC will allow for faster cornering speeds but the limit is less obvious.

As for which is more fun, that really is subjective. The AYC car is quicker through the twisty bits which some consider more fun while the non AYC car allows more sliding at lower speeds. For me thats more fun which is why I drive a car with the engine in the wrong place and only has 2 driven wheels. Old fashioned, slow but it has big :D factor.

#10 ·
Strange - I don't see anyone supporting the S-AYC :rolleyes:
See, I'm planning to ditch my STi and what the best I can get from an Evo... That's why I want to wait for a IX with a mivec engine and revised suspension... so now the only thing left to decide is to be or not to be s-ayc'ed :coolsm:

The thing is - if you convince me that s-ayc makes no sense, I'll go for a US Spec for $30k - brand new.
If I have to buy WITH s-ayc -> then I need a Eur Spec, which is 40% more expensive. Is s-ayc worth 8k quid?

Anything against US Spec that I should be aware of?

#12 ·
As predicted :rolleyes: the same old opinions. "Yeah, with no AYC you get the car to slide easier". Whatever. Personally, on the road, I don't want my car sliding around, I don't want to vastly increase the chances of causing an accident and I don't want to get busted for careless driving (or worse).

So, as I said in my oringinal post, if your car is mainly a road car it is better to have AYC. If you want your car sliding around all over the place then get an RS spec.

*sigh*

#14 ·
brano said:
but i read somewhere here around that if you want to have a hardcore driving once in a while, you can diconnect the S-AYC quie easily. or does it have a markable weight difference without S-AYC?
You can take the fuse out which will disable both your AYC and ABS. Oh, and also your insurance in the case of an accident :D

#15 ·
I went for the EVO IX GSR, originally went for EVO IX GT but changed my mind over the AYC issue. The AYC (now I'm getting used to it) is brilliant! All sorts of jolly japes can be had when you are taking corners at highspeed with the backup of AYC. For added measure, set it to 'snow' so you get 5 seconds worth of LSD pleasure before the AYC kicks in.

Mark

#16 ·
...nice one mark...

...these handling topic's usually stay "too close to the flame", as Aidy remarked earlier you allways get the same round-about responses...

BUT, I'm glad you've butt'd in with your comment about SNOW mode... I can't get my head around this lil'oddity - on dry tarmac it's a fe'ckin scream :D :D :D ...obviously it's not like havin' an LSD but the feedback is much the same in a "you have time to control all aspects of the slide" kind of way IMO - EVERYONE SHOULD TRY IT!

...especially those who are considering the with/without purchase, go to the dealer, 5mins and the nearest roundabout - then deliberate... :coolsm:

Q. Who can explain this?

#18 ·
I have to admit I have only had mine on tarmac. There are good, wide roundabouts here where you can play in relative safety as long as you're the only one on the r/about. Might give it a shot to see what happens.

Not sure if your last question was asking what snow mode does, but the ACD (tarmac\gravel\snow) opens the centre diffs when you enter a corner to let the front and rear wheels act independently. With snow it takes the longest for the diff to open, with tarmac it is almost right away. When you come out of the corner the diff locks up again.

#19 ·
...a question to oneself...

...the way it works isn't lost on me but the "why i like it?" is... if you know what I mean. :rolleyes:

It's all a case of driving style and experience in most instances i guess - i just find it amusing that a mode that most people would overlook in the dry, mainly due to the way it's written about and advertised, is actually very driveable and makes the car IMO feel less BigBrother'ish... I do agree TARMAC mode is awesome tho, an' it'd be great to get someone to hospital quick'n'safe, however on those quite private moments of contemplation when you need to realise why you bought the car in the first place, SNOW is a HooT! :crackup: :crackup:

#21 ·
shodan said:
So to end up this discussion:
I understand from your answers that an Evo without S-AYC is no worse that S-AYC version..
Some people even say it's better.
So I can go for a US Spec, buying a brand new Evo for less than $30k :D
To sum up it is better on a road car, but you can live without it. Esp if it was going to cost you 8k more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.