Lancer Register Forum banner

EVO4 tappets are hydraulic, is it true?!

641 views 5 replies 0 participants last post by  chunky 
G
#1 ·
someone told me all EVO4 (and onwards) tappets are hydraulic, as such no adjustment is required unlike manual ones. is this true?!

G
#2 ·
All Mits engines of interest to us (4G63, 4G93) have hydraulic tappets and a reet bugger they are too!

Although according to accepted wisdom they don't need adjusted, they racket they can sometimes produce makes you wish you could. A good semi or fully-synthetic oil of 10w50 grade or similar (most folks have problems with the 'thinner' 0w40 grades) and a decent filter with a good anti-drain flap can cure them but it is a bit of a black art finding a good filter.

G
#3 ·
Chunky's right - I hate them too!!!

Mitsubishi did improve the design at some stage - but I don't know when this affected evo engines. Anyone?

Chunky - did you see the co-ordsport sale list - 1800gsr tappets at approx 6 quid each.

G
#5 ·
Chunky,

MD376687 Adjuster Rocker Arm CD5A (A) 6.36 each

In July parts clearance excel spreadsheet.

All sorts of goodies going cheap. (55% off).

Got myself a sh*t load of stuff for the beast.

G
#6 ·
Hmm, downloaded that one but it has no mention of the parts you list. Maybe they are all gone http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/sad1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >

Academic anyway as I have many more things demanding my £120 than tappets! Especially considering the little blighters have actually been quieter since my last service than at any time since I bought the car. With me just approaching 5000m they have only recently started ticking very quietly occasionally, 1500 miles was about the most I could expect before!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.