Lancer Register Forum banner

Corr, Engine Mapping, it is not that easy!

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  mujahid 
#1 ·
Well, finally got my car stable enough yesterday to do some mapping!

My first ever attempt at mapping a car. Sure I understand all the theory etc, but doing it yourself is something of a scary proposition! I wanted to be sure everything was working before getting Steve Simpson down to map it properly, and that is running safely.

We had access to Power Engineering's rollers - my mechanic ran the rollers and I did the mapping and monitoring :D

It is DIFFICULT. Really difficult. Would have been a lot easier if we could have logged lambda, boost and knock against a run, but we couldn't for a number of reasons - this meant listening for det, whilst watching the wideband lambda to monitor mixture, and watching the boost gauge to see what boost is doing, whilst tracking the load site and rpm on the laptop.... AAAARGGHHH!!

Got the hang of it eventually, but it is a bit nerve racking to say the least. I didn't want to go too mad, so left it pretty rich (as much as 11.4 in places) and didn't touch the advance at all.

The wastegate spring needs winding in, but we couldn't get it jacked up (couldn't find a low enough trolley jack) - so had to leave that. This meant we couldn't get the spool up better, and touched 1.8 bar briefly, before settling at 1.5bar in the main.

Still - despite my amateur mapping, not being able to control the boost properly, and not being able to adjust the cams (bolts on the pulleys need to be replaced, allen key is slipping), car is still rich and I haven't touched the ignition at all - I still managed to get a reasonably good looking graph, with a safe map, 430 bhp and 400 lb/ft (this is on PE's rollers).

Means I can finally get to run it on track - tomorrow, at Mallory Park :)

Still don't know the weight, but it must be around 1100kgs now. Steve Simpson is mapping it on monday - and I expect he will get significant gains over my map, particularly in the midrange. 450bhp/430 lb/ft looks possible, so fingers crossed. Turbo is coming on boost around 2500rpm, and I think with the control sorted out could hit full boost by 4000rpm.

So, good fun. Something I would like to do more of, but need some better tools and lots more practice! Mapping is a black art for sure - Spoke to Dr Sam Elassar last night, and he clearly knows lots about it, showing me a few tweaks that gave me instant added power :)

So, off to Mallory tomorrow, and looking forward to next week's final map!

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.