Lancer Register Forum banner

Evo 8 MR Advice

800 views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Chew 
#1 ·
Hey,

Im looking at a couple of Evo 8 MRs and just wanted to know some pointers and things to watch out for when buying one.

I have seen a few around the 400BHP mark and wondered if this was a safe amount of power assuming they havent done any internal work

Any info would be most appreciated

#2 ·
An VIII MR can handle 400bhp on standard internals with no problems due to the improved cams & turbo. Just make sure that the work has been carried out by a trusted tuner and the car has been properly cared for (full service history etc.)

Things to look out for include deterioration in the carbon fibre on the spoiler blade & exhaust exit trim on the rear bumper, the paint on the top corners of the doors can start to 'go' as well, as can the standard alloys. If the car is less than 3 years old you can get all this fixed under warranty.

Also make sure the cars you are looking at are actually MRs - biggest tell-tale sign is the ridges in the ally roof, if they're not there it's not an MR.

#9 ·
what happens with tyres on evos

I currently have a Vauxhall Calibra Turbo which has a permanent 4wd system fitted by VTS, but you have to keep all the tyres the same, within a few mm of wear between them and keep the pressures right too

Nightmare, which is also why im looking to sell her now and get something great something 8 ;)

#10 ·
all 4wds need to be treated this way in order to reduce the loading on the differential.
if there is a substantial difference then the diffs, either left righ or front rear (there are three in total) have to drive the wheels at different speeds.

When driving them at the same speeds, the diff does no work and acts as a solid gear.

if you can squeeze your budget by a few k, there are a few 9s around that would be a better buy, and they would still be under warranty!

#13 ·
Mobilia said:
great example of what your looking for : 400BHP EVO8 MR

yes this is my car for sale, but its genuine and a tidy car
This is the one im looking at on Piston heads lol

Bloody hell you live miles away.

The only reason i havent contacted you yet is because I need to get rid of my car first and im frantically trying to sell it without going to look at any evos and then being gutted if they are sold before mine has gone in which case i cant get it

#14 ·
Ok lol small world hey :crackup:

Well i actually have someone coming to look at the car this afternoon after dinner so if anything happens i shall let you know and obviously take down all adverts.

Feel free to call or Private message me if you need to know any details but i havent hidden any information and it really is a genuine car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.