Lancer Register Forum banner

buying an evo 8mr

673 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Raj_UK 
#1 ·
i have just joined the lancer club i am currntly looking for a evo 8mr could anyone on the forum give any advise what to look for. can anyone tell me the pros and cons to owning a evo 8mr

#2 ·
gavinjohnwood said:
i have just joined the lancer club i am currntly looking for a evo 8mr could anyone on the forum give any advise what to look for. can anyone tell me the pros and cons to owning a evo 8mr
Probably the most important thing is to make sure you're actually buying an 8MR.

Sounds stupid, but there have been people on here who have been told they've bought an MR, only to find out it's a GSR or FQ.

Next thing to make sure of is whether it's an "import" (i.e. originally sold in Japan then shipped to this country second hand) or a UK FQ version (made in Japan, but imported by Mitsi to this country and sold here brand new by Mitsi dealerships).

There is a big price difference between MRs and non-MRs and "imports" and UK versions.

Here's a link explaining some of the differences:

>>>Link<<<

#3 · (Edited)
An FQ or GSR can be made to look like 99% like an MR, with the most difficult thing to fake being the seams on the roof (the MRs have an aluminium roof that cannot be bonded to the rest of the car in the same way as with the FQs and GSRs, hence the seams):

Also, only MRs come in Gunmetal Grey, and they didn't make MRs in Black, Yellow or Blue, so that's a good indicator, although cars can always be resprayed!

As for the car, they seem to be similar in terms of running costs and reliability to any later model Evo (excluding insurance), with performance being in between the Evo 8 GSR/FQs and the IXs, as you'd expect with the Evolutions.

Be aware there are several different versions of the MR available in the UK second hand market.

The "bottom" of the range MR is the imported Evo VIII MR (not an FQ model).

The FQ models are MRs imported by Mitsi with bits added (see earlier link).

As for which MR to go for, it all depends on what you want to do with the car. If you're going to keep it standard, go for the highest spec MR you can afford.

If you're going to mod it, it's a matter of opinion, but I'd start with an 8 MR FQ 320 as this has some nice hardware added that is useful, but not parts that you'll strip off to gain more power (like the MR FQ 340 has).

#4 ·
Hi

lots of handy info already mentioned on this thread

if you look in the MLR's for sale section there are normally at least a couple of 8 MR's for sale

make sure whatever evo you buy it has been serviced when it should be ... 4500 miles or 6 months whichever is sooner

I'd suggest if you're thinking of modding, then go for an 8 MR FQ-300 and with the money you save instead of getting a 320 or 340 then get the stage 1 mods to get the power over 350 bhp, or if you don't want to do any mods, then get an 8 MR FQ-340

regards

Raj

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.