Lancer Register Forum banner

Post test drive Q's

3K views 30 replies 13 participants last post by  seab 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm trawling for an Evo as my 530D is fab for 40mpg commutes, but I need an adrenaline fix again! Missus is well up for chopping her old 318 for an Evo:)

Drove an Evo 6 today, and whilst it was an utter dog, it was great fun to drive (shame half the calipers were seized!). There's a nice Eisen Grey 7 on here but its very far away from me in Cardiff unf and slightly over budget.

So can I just pick your brains a bit here to help my research pls?

1. I think that if I'm lucky I might be able to afford an Evo 7 - and this is the best looker for me too. Is a budget of £9k going to work for a 50k miler?

2. The Evo 6 I drove today was very laggy. despite what I though was a Hayward & Scott SS exhaust. Is it normal for them to only spool up at about 3600?

3. What are lash adjusters?

[4. FAQ sorted this Yaw Q :)]

5. Why do some remove the MAF?

6. Is the mushroom type air filter 100% safe on these and wont cause any damage?

7. Are they a bit rust prone - this X reg one today was a bit rusty on the inner wing seams.

8. Clutches prone to go at about 50k?

9. What's BIMTA?

10. Can i borrow some money so I can get an FQ340 please ;)

Thanks for your help - dont let me get another Scooby (as they are cheaper. and I Know them inside out!) as I think the Evo looks a lot better and I've been there, done that.

Diesel

PS why cant people advertise their cars properly? I dont care abnout listing std equipment or alloy gearknobs! Lets hear it about your love backed up by receipts & service history!!!

See less See more
#2 ·
1 9 grand will get you a mint 5 or a average 6 with 50000 on the clock
2 spool up time depends on state of tune the car is in but normaly its a little before tyhat but not a lot
3 lash ajusters are tappets basically and cause a ticking noise if the oil gets gungy and dirty but sometimes even with new oil and a flush it ticks and uprated lash ajusters are needed but there not that expensive maybe £80 to £100 for a set
4 to much to explain better of doing a search on it
5 some people remove the maf if going for a standalone ecu when going for big power.
6 Most mushroom filters are fine bvut i'd get 1 from a repuatable brand such as hks.
7 Rust isn't usualy a problem on the later 1's say from 4 upowards
8 Clutches on evo's are no different from any car. launch it all the time and it will last a matter of days drive carefully and will last much longer. im on my original and i have done nearly 60 thou and its spot on no slip or anything and i think it'l last at last another 10.
9 bimta is a certificate to verify milleage on a car.
10 Not on your nelly mate

#4 ·
Im not sure an evo is for you mate. When you buy an evo, you buy it in the knowledge its going to break and cost you alot of money quite regularly.

But when it is working properly...nothing else gives you that thrill.

Why not go for something else thats quick, but a little easier to live with. E36 M3 is a great car, one of the most fun i had, and as long as you dont get the M3 evo, reliable to.

And you could get a mint one for less than your budget.

#5 ·
Interesting Jay.

I had a Scooby (STi V) for 5 years and think the only thing that broke in the whole 5 years were wheel bearings - fair enough after a few track days and the Nurburgring. I really do have mechanical sympathy but Evos need a bit more fettling you think?

I did test drive an M3 lst week as it was well in budget, but it really dissapointingly didnt wow me at all. My chipped 530D felt faster to 70!!!

I am getting into Evos at the mo but need to find a decent one (not one fresh off the boat with no paperwork) and get more advice like yours. It's far cooler looking than a Scoob after all :cool:

Cheers

D

#7 ·
Evo_Jay said:
Im not sure an evo is for you mate. When you buy an evo, you buy it in the knowledge its going to break and cost you alot of money quite regularly.

But when it is working properly...nothing else gives you that thrill.

Why not go for something else thats quick, but a little easier to live with. E36 M3 is a great car, one of the most fun i had, and as long as you dont get the M3 evo, reliable to.

And you could get a mint one for less than your budget.
Pah.

Get the evo bought.

#8 ·
I just drove an Evo 8. MY GOD THE TURN IN!!!! :smthumbup Incredible - in truth probably too much!

How often does the Yaw control operate? Was it that pushing me into the middle of the roundabout when making a little progress? Just wondering if you have to be pushing it fairly hard before it operates or does it start fairly 'early'. Dedf needs some getting used too :)

D

#11 ·
Originally posted by DieselE
> 2. The Evo 6 I drove today was very laggy. despite
> what I though was a Hayward & Scott SS exhaust. Is it
> normal for them to only spool up at about 3600?

Should have spooled up before that. Who knows what has been done to it or what condition it was in though?

> 3. What are lash adjusters?

Things that make noises on VIs. Cheap to replace, there are uprated ones available.

> 5. Why do some remove the MAF?

MAP is just a better way of measuring airflow. People only convert from MAF to MAP when using a stand-alone ECU that supports it and are chasing big power.

> 6. Is the mushroom type air filter 100% safe on
> these

No.

> 7. Are they a bit rust prone

Shouldn't be, unless it has been in a prang.

> 8. Clutches prone to go at about 50k?

Depends how you drive them. They'll go at 50 miles if you abuse them.

> 9. What's BIMTA?

What's google?

> 10. Can i borrow some money so I can get
> an FQ340 please ;)

Yes, talk to your bank.

#17 ·
Clutches on Evos are designed as the weak point in the transmission. What would you rather replace... clutch, diffs, gearbox?

If you launch them from a standstill often then the clutch will die quickly.

My 1st clutch on my RSX lasted 36,000 miles and it only died after I did 3 standing starts within 5 minutes of each other, all with 4 people in the car. My 2nd standard clutch lasted in excess of 50,000 miles even though I was running around 350ish bhp at the time.

It's all about mechanical sympathy. Drive it like you stole it and expect to pay the price in clutches ;);)

Andy

#18 ·
Im sorry no offence jay but thats not true, of all the evos i worked on in my 6 weeks at pro max, the only things i had to fix were wear and tear items (clutch, brakes, oil). I would hardly blame the car for them breaking/wearing out.

Yes they are performance cars and once tweaked and tuned they can be tempremental, however your painting a picture as if they break down every day and are unreliable cars.

Yes they have common faults, but i dare say we would all be sat here moaning if mitsubishi DIDNT try new things to push the boundaries.

A freind of mine has an M3 and has had nothing but trouble with it (one bad apple i suppose) but the price on parts had me gobsmacked.

Stick with an evo mate, agreed parts arent cheap but to be fair evos are very easy to work on compared to some cars on the market. Plus its a performance car not a shopping trolley the parts are slightly more beefy so wont be that cheap.

As for the choice between 5/6/7 test drive them see which suits you best. I have bought a 5 but fancy a 7 i personally dont think i would notice much of a difference in driving as i dont use my car in anger very often, but someone who does the MLR sprint or track day would be able to tell the differences.

The general concensus seems that the VI is the cream of the crop (anyone feel free to correct me there as im no expert just going on what ive been told).

#19 ·
Interesting Sean.

I did probably prefer the 6's handling and turn in to the 8. 8 was very fierce, but I think I would get used to it - bit painfull on a motorway mind being so twitchy mind. Payback would probably be on a trakday though.

There is no doubt in my mind that tyey are heavier on components than comporable performance cars by now though. Or maybe they just get driven harder.

Still interested as to when the AYC system starts kicking in. Any ideas?

D

#22 ·

When I say twitchy >diplomatic mode on< I mean responsive!

Move the steering 1mm and you change lane!!

D

Yep know what you mean, after 17 months of driving a passat diesel I have just got my old RSX back.

First time i drove it in anger I nearly ended up in the hedge. A weekends driving soon gets you acquainted, I would not worry, it will not be an issue.

#23 ·
gpa said:

When I say twitchy >diplomatic mode on< I mean responsive!

First time i drove it in anger I nearly ended up in the hedge. A weekends driving soon gets you acquainted, I would not worry, it will not be an issue.

Totally agree. After 3 years driving an 8, the only steering issue I find is when I get in other non-evo cars, with vague, imprecise, unresponsive steering. Feels like you're driving a barge through treacle. Give me the 8 setup any day. :coolsm:

Regarding clutches, I got 27k out of the clutch on my 8, and that was with what I would say moderate use. Not really launched that much but driven hard, and tracked 3 or 4 times. That was the standard Mitsi clutch from new. As others have said, being 4WD, its to be expected, and is far preferable to the gearbox or Diffs disintegrating prematurely? :confused:

On Aidy's informative answer to question 6, :D . I'm guessing that's just Aidy's helpful way of saying NOTHING is going to be "100% safe". I had an HKS mushroom filter on my 8, properly mapped and it was just fine. A reliable manufacturer plus being properly mapped are probably the key here?

At the end of the day, just be aware that any evo IS a high performance motor, its running costs are not going to be comparable to a 318, because they are not comparable cars! Give me the evo any day though... :D :D :D

#24 ·
Thanks cahaps - all valuable stuff.

Can I pick yer brains on why some have a silver pipe going to two positions on the exhaust manifold and some have these removed, with a bolt inserted to blank the holes off? Just noting this more and more from all the engine bay pics here.

Does running more boost pop 'em off?!!

Cheers

D

#25 ·
DieselE said:
Can I pick yer brains on why some have a silver pipe going to two positions on the exhaust manifold
Isn't this the 'SAS' setup (basic anti-lag)? Search here for info on it and all should be explained. Unless that's not it!

As for responsive turn-in, if you think the Evo 8 is sharp, you should keep clear of driving a Stratos (real or replica). :D

#26 ·
BAGGED ONE!!!

I DID IT!

Thanks to the FSH I was able to chat extensively to the first owner and be re-assure as to its history.

It is very quikc indeed and so free of lag. Turn in is fab but not as twitchy as the VIII. I paid a very reasonable price given the mint condition (verified by CPP Motor Developments too), extra goodies and FSH.

One very happy chappie ;-)

hERE'S A CAMERA PHONE QUICK PIC (IN CASE YOU DONT KNOW WHAT A 7 LOOKS LIKE ;) )

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.