Lancer Register Forum banner

Evo rental ?

1K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  Barry P. 
#1 ·
Does anybody rent out decent condition evo 6's? Not for rally use, just for fast road and maybe the odd track day ? What sort of money and how do you go about making sure they are properly insured if there is an accident.

I'm curious as my evo is now a 2.3 and around 500bhp, which has 2 bar of boost by just after 3k (so not laggy at all) and is a bit of tool on the road, can obviously limit it through teh ecu softwrae if I wanted too. But I never use it so it's kinda wasted. Anybody on here ever fancied renting a higher power evo ?

#2 ·
i own an evo 6 runn8ing around 340bhp but would jump at the chance to hire a 500bhp monster for the weekend if there was such a place that did it. A 500bhp evo 6 would be great fun. not quite the pose factor of a jag soft top but loads more fun. What sort of money would it be though for say friday to monday hire including insurance as my own policy would only cover it 3rd party wich isn't good enough cover

#3 ·
This is what I'm gauging, how much would people be willing to pay. I'm seriously thinking about doing it. I'd have jumped at teh chance to drive one befor eI built mine. I also think many ppl will be VERY supprised how little lag there is, it's less laggy than my standard remapped evo6. So it's non eof this waiting till 4800rpm then a massive wedge of power, it's fast as **** and has beated even more powerful (bhp wise) evos with ease.

Insurance is the big issue I reckon. I'm looking into it so if anybody woudl be interested in renting PM me :D

#6 ·
Are you not concerned that it would have the balls thrashed off it and not be treated properly.

How would half a dozen weekends hire money compare to a rebuild?

Any no insurance company on the planet will let you take out a blanket insurance policy to rent a car like this to people who didn't own it.

What are they going to do with it? Drive it stupidly quick.

I reckon it would be written off after 2 or 3 people.

Podman said:
This is what I'm gauging, how much would people be willing to pay. I'm seriously thinking about doing it. I'd have jumped at teh chance to drive one befor eI built mine. I also think many ppl will be VERY supprised how little lag there is, it's less laggy than my standard remapped evo6. So it's non eof this waiting till 4800rpm then a massive wedge of power, it's fast as **** and has beated even more powerful (bhp wise) evos with ease.

Insurance is the big issue I reckon. I'm looking into it so if anybody woudl be interested in renting PM me :D

#7 ·
tis a good idea but i see maybe a couple of floors, call me cynical but!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
1/ how much does it owe you?? if totaled would insurance pay that?
2/ gonna be totally abused and raped! how long would it last??
3/ good bits swapped for bad, you cant check every thing,
4/£200 a day! would that cover tyres, oil, clutch, brakes???
5/what deposit would you want?£1000 hay im sure some folk would pay that for a 500 brake evo!!!!!!!!!
said i were cynical, but if youre gonna do it good luck..........

#10 ·
I get all teh points that were mentioned about and agree with pritty much all of them. General wear and tare of items and servicing woudl have to be an additional cost, the same as if you hire a lambo, you pay rental then oyu pay servicing costs plus you pay a heafty deposit, if you can't pay teh money you can't have teh car, also the contract is very very strict about paying for anything and everything that needs repairing/ replacing when it comes back. The insurance is teh main issue, I dare say it woudl be clean license above 30 etc like renting any other high perfromance car, Costs woudl probably make it totally non viable, but it's still an idea. Just curious if anybody else does it.

#12 ·
modena said:
'RogerRally' an MLR member does/used to do rentals, although mainly for (stage) rallies etc
although he may well do for trackdays as well...can't remember

check his site:
www.turnaround360.co.uk

oh...and yes...his name is 'Roger'
based in Wanborough, Surrey
I don't think he does it any more mainly for the problems Podman will experience. They basically get trashed.

As for having a contract saying you pay for anything that gets replaced, no-one would hire the car. People would want to hire it *because* they can't afford the clutch, engine etc. If you hire that car out it would come back with a knackered clutch *guaranteed* and probably a knackered engine. If you hire an evo for a rally then it will be used to drive hard, but not abused.

There are also the legal implications, have you thought of that? What happens when the parents of the kid who wraps this around a tree and dies sues you? Worse still the idiot who loses control and crashes into a bus queue?

#13 ·
ye sI have thought of legal implications and stuff. Also there is no way I woudl ever rent it out to some 25year old with a baseball cap etc etc. I'm mainly thinking on the idea of people who already own evos considering power increases etc. It's only a thought though. But I'm thinking hard !

#18 ·
This little story may make you think twice and I can assure you it's true!!! A "friend" of mine had a hire driver out in one of his race cars at Snetterton, the driver wanted some extra tuition prior to his race at the circuit. They decided to hire a Lotus Elise from a well known company and were told that the hire rate depended on mileage covered so they collected the car and a few miles down the road loaded it onto a trailer, they trailered it to Snetterton where they jacked it up removed a wheel and took off the sensor which works the speedo/ mileometer. They then spent a whole of a track day thrashing it round Snetterton within an inch of it's life, driven by two racing drivers. Sensor was reconnected and car driven back to its base with about 100 miles of hire on the clock, owner unaware that it had done about another 300 miles round Snett., the hirers cleared off very quickly before the hire company checked tyre and brake wear!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.