Lancer Register Forum banner

History of a car

1K views 18 replies 16 participants last post by  prolekult 
#1 ·
How can I find out the history of my car?
Reason being, had some guy round tonight to pick some stuff up and he said, just by looking at it that the passenger side had been repainted. I said it hadn`t as i`d recently had it detailed and the paint thickness was measured with one of those gadgets and it was the same thickness all along that side form the front wing to the rear quarter.
Just want to put my mind at ease really.

#3 ·
Nick`s said:
Reason being, had some guy round tonight to pick some stuff up and he said, just by looking at it that the passenger side had been repainted. I said it hadn`t as i`d recently had it detailed and the paint thickness was measured with one of those gadgets and it was the same thickness all along that side form the front wing to the rear quarter.
Just my uninformed opinion, but who would you trust, a pro detailer who's looke at your car's paint in detail for several hours, or some guy who turns up and glanced at it? :shrug:

#7 ·
xpro said:
on my evo,two doors seem to be a bit darker compare to the front wing.never had paintwork done tought.
I'd be asking a few more questions regarding this if you bought it from a dealer.

Not wanting to scare you but i've heard of cars being damaged and then repaired before they're even registered. The first owner is then none the wiser that his "brand new" car has had a partial respray.

#8 ·
i know what you mean.when i said difference in the color,its a slight difference only.most poeple would even notice.
I had a proper look,and no sign of paintwork..edges,corners,underneath the seals..all brand new.
Could have got a new door,but i dont think so

#9 ·
Nick`s said:
People always say things like this, you'll get used to it. They're just trying to put you on a downer.

#10 ·
Re: Re: History of a car

Aidy said:
People always say things like this, you'll get used to it. They're just trying to put you on a downer.
That was my reaction actually, it's very easy for someone to say such things with absolutely no basis wishing to appear 'wise'. Some people just like to undermine others especially when they've got something nice that they envy. Did he elaborate on why he thought this was the case?

I've had a few such 'useful' comments over the years on various cars I've owned, none worth taking any notice of. One guy told me that the chassis was bent on a car I once had, firstly it didn't have a chassis and secondly how you could tell that by walking round it I do not know - plus I'd had the car from new so I was in a better position to know than him.

Personally I'd take no notice. If you were really concerned get the opinion of someone in a good paintshop, they'd spot the signs of a re-spray I'm sure.

#13 ·
I have looked at a few 260's and it seams to be common, the doors look to be a slightly different colour to the sills, front and back arches etc. I just thought it was during the change from a 7 to a 260 they didn't re-paint the hole car, just the new bits they stuck on.

Dupe...

#14 ·
Just spoke to the guy who did my detailing work, he said when he measured the paint thickness it was between 0.97 and 1.04 microns or something all over and thats usual for factory painted cars as the paint is applied by machine/computers so not to worry about it, only worry if it was a lot deeper on one panel than the rest...

#15 ·
Folk that say that kinda thing **** me off big time. I was in the garage yesterday getting bushes checked over and the Snap-on dude came in. First thing he says as I'm standing with the mechanic under my car is "Who painted it" I didnt even know the guy. Its only had the spoiler wing mirrors and sideskirts does you cheeky ****. I just happen to keep my car very clean and tidy.

#16 ·
I work for Honda in Swindons car manufacturing plant, some car panels are repainted due to acidental damage etc. If under detailed inspection 'signs' of repaint can't be fully comfirmed then i certainly wouldn't worry, it's the obvious signs that would worry me!! Very very few cars out there are so say 'immaculate' believe me.

#17 ·
DJ-Dulux said:
I have looked at a few 260's and it seams to be common, the doors look to be a slightly different colour to the sills, front and back arches etc. I just thought it was during the change from a 7 to a 260 they didn't re-paint the hole car, just the new bits they stuck on.

Dupe...
That's a load of ****, the 260 is not a 7 in drag :crackup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.