Lancer Register Forum banner

IXGT or IXMR RS

3K views 40 replies 15 participants last post by  Ian6xtreme 
#1 ·
Given the choice, which one would you choose? and more importantly. Why? Turbo's etc.

This is not just a question it's a bit of research. So your opinions are quite important :D :D
Cheers

Ian..

#4 ·
I had the choice of 2 year old GT vs new MR RS for similar money, and went for the GT. Reasons?
  • Creature comforts in the GT. I do a lot of road miles, so they were important
  • The RS has steel wheels, basic seats and pathetic brakes. All things that would have needed changing that already existed on the GT.
I could also have gone for a UK GSR, but wanted the quicker rack and RS drivetrain.

Still ended up modifying the GT substantially after all was said and done though. I'm not sure that any of the Evo 9 models would have been perfect without some tweaking :)

#5 ·
Mick429 said:
I had the choice of 2 year old GT vs new MR RS for similar money, and went for the GT. Reasons?
  • Creature comforts in the GT. I do a lot of road miles, so they were important
  • The RS has steel wheels, basic seats and pathetic brakes. All things that would have needed changing that already existed on the GT.
I could also have gone for a UK GSR, but wanted the quicker rack and RS drivetrain.

Still ended up modifying the GT substantially after all was said and done though. I'm not sure that any of the Evo 9 models would have been perfect without some tweaking :)
I can see why you would go for the GT. My dilemma is that the RS has already had the wheels/brakes converted, has air con, and just needs decent seats :confused: :confused:

Ian..

#7 ·
Ian6xtreme said:
I can see why you would go for the GT. My dilemma is that the RS has already had the wheels/brakes converted, has air con, and just needs decent seats :confused: :confused:

Ian..
Suspension is the other consideration I suppose Ian ... has the MR had that done too?

There is also car age/badge snobbery, I suppose :D

#10 ·
Ian6xtreme said:
Suspension is the standard Bilsteins on the RS, not sure about the GT. Whatever they are standard..
Bilsteins are a delete option on the GT. Lord only knows what you get if you delete them :D

I had the Billies replaced with Tein Monoflex ... there is a world of difference between the two.

#11 ·
Ian6xtreme said:
Suspension is the standard Bilsteins on the RS, not sure about the GT. Whatever they are standard..
MR RS does not come with Bilstiens! Although this might have been changed. ;)

A consideration for you is that the MR RS turbo has a 15g wheel -which is great for spool up, but will limit you to approx. 380bhp. The GT turbo is good for over 400bhp, however I believe some of the GT turbo's have some reliability problems.

Both have the RS drivetrain which is the main thing. :smthumbup

#12 ·
Callum said:
I believe some of the GT turbo's have some reliability problems.
True. The standard mag wheel can fail at higher boost levels IIRC.

My turbo had the mag wheel replaced when the Autronics was fitted.

#13 ·
Thanks for the replies guys.

Callum
The RS definately has bilsteins fitted (this one anyway) I've had a look ;)
The Turbo issue is a consideration I'm looking into. I'm trying to find out what turbo is on the RS as it's a very late model.

Mick
I thought the GT turbo was as good as it gets on an out of the box Evo?

Another thought. The RS is an MR, ie ally roof. The GT is just a normal bodyshell? is that correct??

Cheers

Ian..

#14 · (Edited)
Ian6xtreme said:
Mick
I thought the GT turbo was as good as it gets on an out of the box Evo?
The mag wheel definitely has some issues at higher boost levels. NR recommended that I replaced it with a non-mag version before upping the power, but it may be that the standard unit is OK at standard power (there is more than one generation of GT turbo too, with the later units being more reliable as I understand it)

Ian6xtreme said:
Another thought. The RS is an MR, ie ally roof. The GT is just a normal bodyshell? is that correct??
I'm pretty sure that all 9s have the ally roof. This was a difference between the 8 and 8MR IIRC.

<edit>Bit more info on this thread about 9 turbo versions</edit>

http://www.lancerregister.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=166601&highlight=gt+turbo

#15 ·
I've heard that about the GT turbo's. The later one's were replaced with the 71 units I believe. How do I tell an earlier GT from a later one?
Didn't know that about the roofs all being ally Mick, So all IX's are MR shells then? even the FQ range.

Ian..

#16 ·
Hi Ian ...

Think you should be able to tell a 70 turbo from a 71 by looking at what is stamped into the housing as shown here ...

http://www.lancerregister.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=122614

In the final analysis, it cost me around £200 to uprate the compressor wheel in mine, so you won't have to rob a bank before going down this route.

There is some more info on this thread that might help you out too ...

http://www.lancerregister.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=79737

It's probably worth you having a quick chat with NigelS. He really does understand the IX and all of the different options available ... I only know what I picked up from him when I had to make the decision between GT and RS :D

#18 ·
No worries mate.

All depends on what you are going to use the car for, I guess. And the turbo can be changed if necessary :D

#22 ·
My avatar should explain :)

I could have bought either but the particulars 3 cars I was looking at the time the RS had by far the best spec (mods wise not extras wise) so it was all done for me and the RS seems to get more people talking so I guess that chose for me too as more info was available at the time.

The GT is a new thing I suppose whereas the RS's have been through a few model/versions now I guess so has a reputation that preceeds it and that it has to live up to

#25 ·
Ian6xtreme said:

Cheers

Ian..
Nope.

on the 8, the evolution to the MR gave it better suspension and the ally roof, 10.5 turbo etc.

That doesn't mean that on the 9 they reverted to a previous spec.

The evolution improves each time, otherwise the 9 would be inferior to the 8MR which it is not.

The 9MR is like a 9.5, a tweak mid life cycle. To my knowledge the change was the front lip spoiler design and the suspension settings, which can be copied.

Nothing more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.