Lancer Register Forum banner

FQ330 vs MR FQ300

2K views 53 replies 9 participants last post by  bazevo69 
#1 ·
Hello One and All,

I'm new to EVO ownership and was hoping some one could answer a quick question.

I'm looking at two cars the FQ 330 and the MR FQ 300 both are EVO 8s both have similar milage and price. Both are standard.

Which one would be the best buy?

Thanks for any help.

Cheers.

#2 ·
Depends what you want to do with it.

If you're going to leave it standard (no-one does!) then the 330, as it has a good bit more power (which can be added to with very light mods such as decat and modified airbox) and a nicer interior. These are very easy to get to the 350bhp mark, so if that is enough for you (it won't be after a few months) then go with the 330 - as long as it's a decent price.

If you're going to mod the car, then go for the 300, as despite the poorer interior, it is a good base level to start from, and if you're going to go for serious mods (anything more than exhaust and induction) then you'd just strip the extra parts off the 330 anyway.

#3 ·
youngsyr said:
Depends what you want to do with it.

If you're going to leave it standard (no-one does!) then the 330, as it has a good bit more power (which can be added to with very light mods such as decat and modified airbox) and a nicer interior. These are very easy to get to the 350bhp mark, so if that is enough for you (it won't be after a few months) then go with the 330 - as long as it's a decent price.

If you're going to mod the car, then go for the 300, as despite the poorer interior, it is a good base level to start from, and if you're going to go for serious mods (anything more than exhaust and induction) then you'd just strip the extra parts off the 330 anyway.
I'm surprised the MR FQ has a poorer interior to the standard FQ!

Which would be easier to get to 400bhp?

#4 ·
I beleive they will both be the same to get to 400bhp mate.

Both have the 10.5t housing...although, i think you may be able to save the cams from the MR, where as i think you may have to replace the fq ones.

In honesty, id go for the MR regardless...its just that leauge above the normal fq. Better suspension and looks better, has the little MR signitures, carbon bits ect.

I may be wrong though about the cam situation.

#5 ·
MetalHead said:
I'm surprised the MR FQ has a poorer interior to the standard FQ!

Which would be easier to get to 400bhp?
MR Definitely. Wouldn't take much; 3" exhaust with decat, air box mod/filter, remap and you're there or there abouts.

Interior is just my opinion, but I think the 330 is the best Evo interior I've seen. I'm slightly biased though. ;)

A lot depends on price as well, don't forget. What's the price differential between them? When I was looking it was between £2,000 and £3,000. You can get a lot of mods for that.

#7 ·
Evo_Jay said:
I beleive they will both be the same to get to 400bhp mate.

Both have the 10.5t housing...although, i think you may be able to save the cams from the MR, where as i think you may have to replace the fq ones.

In honesty, id go for the MR regardless...its just that leauge above the normal fq. Better suspension and looks better, has the little MR signitures, carbon bits ect.

I may be wrong though about the cam situation.
Sorry mate, but you're wrong on the turbine houstin, the 330 has a 9.8T housing, not a 10.5T, so this would need to be replaced to reach 400bhp.

Also, I'm struggling to think of the extra carbon bits on the MR? The FQ and the MR have the same spoiler, and similar number plaques. The MR does come with a fake carbon dash though (which you can pick up for around £100 second hand).

You'd also need to change the cams on the FQ, like you say, to be sure of reaching 400 bhp.

Again, it all comes down to price, I have an FQ330 that would eat an standard MR FQ300 alive, and has probably cost me about the same, all in.

A lot of people value the MR branding though.

#9 ·
MetalHead said:
The MR is £1000 cheaper.
Mr all the way but like already said if your leaving it standard then the FQ330 would be good!

My interior is very nice as have the leather and alcantra trim which I think is standard on the MR 340's and the fq330. Youngsyrcould confirm this! If your not fussed about the leather get an MR300 or 320 as the 340 is just a piggy back which will be ripped out when you map it!

Good luck!

#10 ·
bazevo69 said:
Mr all the way but like already said if your leaving it standard then the FQ330 would be good!

My interior is very nice as have the leather and alcantra trim which I think is standard on the MR 340's and the fq330. Youngsyrcould confirm this! If your not fussed about the leather get an MR300 or 320 as the 340 is just a piggy back which will be ripped out when you map it!

Good luck!
The FQ 330 comes with a unique (or at least very limited edition) interior: Black Alcantar with leather bolsters seats with Ralliart logos inset in the backs. Also black leather doorcards.

This is different to the MR340s, and IMO, the FQ330 interior looks better.

Check out "My Car" below for a few pictures.

#11 ·
If you want to mod and get to the 400bhp mark then definitely go for the MR (or evo 9 if you can stretch). I'm in the camp that prefers the looks of the MR over the 330 (hence why I bought one). I think the combination of the dark alloys, darkened headlamps etc. really make it stand out. I also believe the bilstein setup is much better than previous non MR models (which was carried over to the evo 9 models).

It all really comes down to price and condition of the vehicle your looking at though. But if you can afford the extra for the MR go for it especially if your modding.

#12 ·
youngsyr said:
The FQ 330 comes with a unique (or at least very limited edition) interior: Black Alcantar with leather bolsters seats with Ralliart logos inset in the backs. Also black leather doorcards.

This is different to the MR340s, and IMO, the FQ330 interior looks better.

Check out "My Car" below for a few pictures.
my 340 MR has the same interior as your FQ330. Think it was an optional upgrade on the 340 MR and standard on the FQ330.

#14 ·
J@mes said:
my 340 MR has the same interior as your FQ330. Think it was an optional upgrade on the 340 MR and standard on the FQ330.
You have Ralliart logos and not the MR ones?

Things are never straight forward with Evos! Officially I thought it was just supposed to be the 330s that got the Ralliart logoed ones, but I've seen this interior on a (pre FQ range) 280 and now an MR 340, maybe I've got my wires crossed.

#17 ·
Mine is the same but is a 9!

I would still buy the MR regardless.

Lighter roof, lower C of G. Better suspension on UK roads, interior detailing.

defo get the MR.

Especially if it is cheaper.

30bhp is neither here nor there where evos are concerned.

Off the shelf Ecuflash remap for £100 will see you to well over 330 in a matter of seconds.

#21 ·
To get back on topic, if the reason for the MR being cheaper is valid (and not because it's been bumped, not been serviced properly, dodgy history etc) than go for the MR, as it seems you're going to mod it and this is a much better base level to start from than the FQ330.

#22 ·
Leon_MR340 said:
I'm in the camp that prefers the looks of the MR over the 330 (hence why I bought one). I think the combination of the dark alloys, darkened headlamps etc. really make it stand out.
I agree with you about the alloys and headlamps, which was why I swapped them on my FQ-330. The answer to the MR or 330 question really comes down to how much you want to mod doesn't it? If you really must have an ally roof, then get the MR, virtually everything else can readily be swapped between the two (except the choice of colours, which is why I bought a 330 because it had to be black).

#25 ·
youngsyr said:
By plastic, do you mean imitation leather, or shiny plastic plastic?

Mine look leather, but they could be fake (like the "carbon" dashes on the MRs).
Having just checked I am still fairly sure it's plastic but I think it's the same as your's - looks like leather but I'm sure it's plastic. But I could well be wrong...

Metalhead - sorry to hijack this thread hope you make a decision on which car suits you best. Have you actually been to see them yet?

#26 ·
Morris Minor said:
I agree with you about the alloys and headlamps, which was why I swapped them on my FQ-330. The answer to the MR or 330 question really comes down to how much you want to mod doesn't it? If you really must have an ally roof, then get the MR, virtually everything else can readily be swapped between the two (except the choice of colours, which is why I bought a 330 because it had to be black).
Agree with all of that but whilst the parts apart from the roof are readily swappable, it doesn't mean it's cheap to do. The turbine housing and cams alone will probably set you back a combined £500, then you've got to fit them, or even more expensively get them fitted.

On top of that it's not cheap to improve the FQ suspension to the MR (or better) level.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.