Lancer Register Forum banner

Thinking about getting a EVO, can any1 compare against M3

985 views 10 replies 11 participants last post by  scoobykiller 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, one of my first posts here and i'm looking for some help!
I currently own a e36 M3 3L but maybe looking for something differant, possiably a EVO however does anyone have any experience with both cars for comparison. Got my M3 on ebay at the mo but unsure if i've done the right thing?, your comments appreciated
thanks Paul.

#3 ·
I have had the 3.0 e36 M3 coupe and a 3.2 e36 M3 Evo Saloon.

The 3.0 was a great car, the 3.2 was a let down in comparrision to it.

However neither car can be directly compared to an evo.

They are very different cars to own and drive.

The M3 is a nice car, and great fun, but the evo is a far better all round car for fun.

Ok you can't go sideways very easy in an evo (not unless your past the limits of the ayc anyhow) but it makes up for it in other ways.

The M3 is pretty limited when it comes to getting performance from it.

I had mine chipped, decatted, backbox on it, and a Dave F induction kit fitted.

Made around 300bhp but the maf was knackered, my mates made 315bhp with the same mods.

But thats pretty much as far as you can go, without spending silly money.

The evo however, you can mod everything on the car, the only limit is the size of ya wallet ;)

I've only had 1 of each of the e36 M3's but i've had 4 evo's now, so that should give you an indication of how much better the evo's are, I just keep going back to them ;)

Get a good evo and you won't look back.

#7 ·
Not sure if the passenger roof handles are soft enough in the evo. They may mark your coat hangers.
Dont think a grand latte will fit in the cup holder either.
The loud exhaust may spoil the enjoyment of your phil collins CD.
Also there isnt a paint colour to match your pink tie.

#9 ·
i had an e36 m3 for just over a week..was my tuners private car which he lent me while doing mine.

I loved every minute of it..great handling, good fun, nice pull to it and sadly, great car to clean lol

Really had fun getting it sideways at nearly every corner, which you cant do in the evo really as the Computers kick in and correct it asap.

But the evo has so much going for it...much quicker, better handling again - in a different way, power is easily expandable...You wont regret it fella.

#10 ·
M3 vs Evo.....

2 completely different philosophies on making a car.

The original E30 M3 was built to take on the Worlds Touring car championships and pretty much cleared up for a decade.

The Evo was built to conquer the World rally championship which it did for years.

The modern M3 is as far removed from the original M3 as you can get.

The Evo is still a product of Homologation regulations of years gone by that the average driver can realistically aspire to own without a lottery win.

As a result the Evo is so much more of a driving weapon than pretty much anything on sale at any price.

I'm guarantee that if you drive an Evo and an E36 M3 back to back, the M3 will be a good car, but the Evo will astonish you. ;)

#11 ·
i have had x2 E36 M3 Evo soft top's, an 4 dr E36 Evo Saloon, and a M3 E46 coupe LTD EDN, and i can honestly say, as good and safe as the BMW's were they are not comprasable to the EVO, i have also had x3 Impreza from a classic to a blob eye on a 53 plate, and the Evo yet again wins,

the all round power comfortablilty at any speed, the handling and the mod's you can do.

deff doing the right thing pal!

Stu

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.