Lancer Register Forum banner

Evo 1-3 Roll cage Q & A

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Barry P. 
#1 · (Edited)
I've been looking into getting a cage in my E2 for some time .I've nearly got one sorted but luckily learned a few things before buying one myself. In 08 i'm hopefully going to be sprint/hillclimbing the car and wanted something decent to meet the MSA blue book rules etc. Now anyone thats read that book knows its not the easiest job to work out exactly what mods/safety is allowed or needed for the class your aiming at. After some "expert advice" from a few places things seem a little clearer though i'd still like to know if anyone knows different.

I didn't really want a bolt in cage to start with but still looked at whats about. Seems the only bolt in kits are Cusco/Safety 21 from Japan. Due to a bend in the front leg apparantly they would not be meet the MSA regs. Okay for street and the odd track day but not MSA approved.

Not much better news for the weld in jobs either. 2 possible options as far as i've been told. There is a multi point kit available from Custom cages or you can get one made as a one off. All cages have to be certificated for racing so if its a one off the builder would need it inspected and signed off/certificated to the relevant standard. Custom cages can supply a cert regarding the material and also fit it up.

Either of these options are serious money. Depending on what materials and how many points etc the kit from CC is available pre-cut and ready for installation is £574 + vat. Fitted by them it's approx £1350 + vat ! Got a few rough quotes from one off builders and it was roughly the same if not more for the whole job.

After alot of thought i'm biting the bullet and getting CC to fit one in for me. Spoke to a few folk down at Western Performance and saw one of their cages and it was a work of art. Works of art ( and running an Evo :rolleyes: )doesn't come cheap but i can live with that , just!

Obviously there is a market for 1-3 parts and cages is a biggie. I'm off to see them and have a chat next week , go over some specs and get it booked in. Reading alot of the posts i know alot of 1-3 owners want a bolt in/weld in cage. It would be good to get an idea of how many would possibly be interested about buying one before i pop over and see them. You never know might be able to swing a MLR discount or something similar??? Don't ask , dont get!

Please find pic of cage available

To be certificated the whole cage has to be fitted. You can use core kits to get the right cage and the correct certificate. What i'll end up with is the highest pointed/bracing core kit and getting some extras added to it. Will look pretty much like the pic but not pushing through the front bulkhead. Not WRC spec but good enough for most things , easily expanded and way OTT for my needs. Nothing matter with that though.

If anyone can shed more light on any of the regs etc that i've mentioned please shout up. Be good to make things clear for the 1-3 folks out there.

Cheers Dan ;)

See less See more
#2 ·
First things first, what class are you aiming to compete in?
For standard production class you do not need a cage. I compete in this class and just have a 6-point bolt-in for that extra bit of safety and stiffness.

When building/prepping a car its always best to have a specific class your aiming for and stick to it.

#3 ·
Modified production hopefully. I'm a member of HSA and this is what i have been advised. All work is being done to FIA/MSA spec and using the mod production regs as a base for the mods to the car. Car is / will be road legal ;) though toatlly stripped / caged etc. Should anything push me into another class i'm not really bothered , aslong as its to regs and i can get out there , thats all that counts.I'm not doing it at a competitive level either at this stage , new to all this and owning / driving an Evo. Got alot to learn but it's something i've promised myself i'm going to do.

Try not to look at the build cost anymore though, just gets me depressed. :cry:

Cheers Dan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.