Lancer Register Forum banner

P1, Evo VI or Integra Type-R?

2K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  johngevo 
#1 ·
I posted the below on the P1 owners club forum, though I'd like your opinion too peeps.

...Hello guys, new member here

Just doing a bunch of research on a bunch of cars I'm lining up to replace my Mk2 16v Golf GTi and thought I'd get your opinion about the following [sorry if this is in the wrong place]...

As mentioned in my subject title, I'm looking into a P1 [if I get a scooby it has to be a P1 [cos they look ace] as I wont be able to afford a Type25!!!], an Evo VI or a Honda Integra Type-R. I need your help with the pros and cons:

Obviously a P1 and E6 are way way faster than the ITR, and I do crave some serious speed for my next ride! Though has anyone here driven an ITR and can compare the fun of that VTEC at 9000rpm to the thrust of a P1? I do like the fact you can pick up a mint Teg for less than £10k and I guess the servicing is gonna be way less than either the turbo cars, and being a Honda would I be right in saying it's gonna be far more reliable? I will read up on here regarding P1 reliability issues [got any links guys?], though what would you consider to be a safer buy, as in cost of ownership...Impreza or Evo? I love the look of a P1 [a major major pro], but I like the aggression of the Evo VI too [and they are really rare on the roads compared to the large number of Impreza's you see].

Any help would be great guys...I will have more questions if that's ok?

See less See more
#2 ·
the v-tec has all the lag of a turbo but without the fun kick at the end! its like waiting for bad sex! the p1 is a very nice car although insurance is really high being a sort after limited edition car! also if you are going to spend some money tuning, then watch out for the subarus weaker internals! they are known to melt piston 3, my money would be on the evo 6 but what answer did you expect to get on an evo forum? lol :D

#3 ·
I've only recently sold my P1, was a fantastic car and I enjoyed every minute of owning it. Its just hard finding a really good example (ie. clean car, full service history, unmodified) now imo.

Teg's are the best handling front wheel drive car, but if it was me I'd have to opt for the DC5 over the old DC2 if I were going for one of them. Different driving experience from a turbocharged car.

- Go for the P1 or an Evo 6 :coolsm:

#4 ·
It depends what you want to do really.

I drive an S2000 and evo 6 on a regular basis. Both very good the evo is quicker and feels it, but the s2000 is very suprising.

An ITR will provide hours of fun, albeit slower fun than an evo. Cheap running costs, cheaper services and cheaper insurance.

I've looked at ITRs, but the VI is the car on my drive. :)

#5 ·
Hiya Mate

Have you not considered a Impreza Type R. I ask as the P1 is just a watered down, overpriced version of this.

I had one for 2 years and to say it was rapid would be an understatement to say the least.

I had no problems with it, bar a clutch, but spent time and money having it set up right, as people quite rightly say, the subaru internals are weaker than the mitsi.

Oh and they rev well past 8k which coupled with the subaru engine sounds great!!!!

I have since got an Evo 5 which is a totally different drive, not as raw but certainly, after a few tweaks here and there is now as quick if not quicker. The Evo also feels more competent in the twisties so obviously instills confidence, but that is pushing hard.

I love both cars, and its pretty much horses for courses. If i could have an Evo with the Subaru burble then i would be a happy man.

Just my 2p worth

#6 ·
I have had an Evo VI for the last 8 years and the wife has had an ITR (DC2) for the last 9.

IMHO, on a empty twisty road, both cars are really good fun to drive, if I had to choose I'd say that the ITR just edges it in the dry (the handling is better than the Evo), but the Evo is definately more fun in the wet.

Unfortunately, the roads are rarely empty and this is where the Evo has a big advantage. The strong midrange performance opens up a lot more overtaking opportunities, so you spend more time having fun and less time looking at the back of some flat cap wearer who thinks that the NSL is 50mph.

The ITR has the advantage that it costs less to run (28mpg v 22mpg). Overall cost is about 50p/mile against 80p/mile for an Evo.

The build quality on Integra type Rs is also significantly better than Evos, so given that you are looking at a 6+ year old car this may be a factor in how reliable it is over the next 5 years.

Rob

#7 · (Edited)
DC2 ITR, i owned one for 4 years. They're brilliant. It has a similar feel to the Evo but the Evo has more fire power.

They're both awesome to chuck down a twisty road. Obviously both different driving experiences. ITR cheaper and sounds better.

Just have a good drive in both and see which you prefer.

I'd love to have a stripped and caged white DC2 ITR track car running slicks. :D

#8 ·
Hello...

My previous car was a Impreza Type R version 5, absolutly awesome car.. Would be my choice rather than the P1...

It was a really quick car, bit of a handful tho but loved it.. Looks, handling and performance it had it all :D

If id got the money id have both the evo ive got now and another impreza Type R sat in my garage :crackup:

You wouldnt go far wrong in my opinion with any of the cars youve choose....

#9 ·
Alrite mate,just sold my 260bhp civic type r ek9 for an evo7 and i can honestly say i don`t regret it,i spent a fortune on the b series engine upwards of 20grand euro and i did have great fun with it,but you can`t really compare it to an evo. Have to say the vtec`s do take some abuse but it would have to be the VI for me sweet looking car 2! Get a tommy mak :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.