Lancer Register Forum banner

EVO or GTI-R???????

3K views 35 replies 19 participants last post by  Lanzer 
#1 ·
Hi!

I´m about to buy an evo II - III OR a Nissan gti-r. I posted a thread on a nissan forum about these two cars, of course they want me to buy a gti-r but they made a fair comparision of these two cars. So, I would like that you did the same thing!!

1. Why should I buy a evo?

2. Expensive spareparts?

3. How easy is this car to sell?

4. Do you have any friends that ones a gti-r and what does he thinks about his gti-r.

As I said in the nissan forum.. I´m swedish and my english sux..
But it would be realy nice if you helped me with these questions..

#3 ·
1 evo's are just of a better quality than the GTI r's.
2 spares are readilly available through the mlr and ain't expensive.
3 if you have a well looked after evo it will sell easilly.
4 there are a few ex gtir owners on here and i bet there are less ex evo owners on the gtir forum so ytou do the maths...

#5 ·
amazingjames said:

4 there are a few ex gtir owners on here and i bet there are less ex evo owners on the gtir forum so ytou do the maths...
I'm 1 of them, and i loved my GTiR, had it for 4 years, running 300 hp. Was a good fast car, but it always had some sort if little annoying problems, generally electrical. The gearbox is weak at anything above standard power

I've had my evo 4 years now, and it has generally been reliable,

I wouldn't go back to the pulsar, but i still think it is a good car for the money, at the pulsar price range, i'd choose an early evo

Stu

#8 ·
The pulsars are quick but they rust like crazy.
You'll spend half your time sorting out the rotten arches.
Ive had loads of jap cars and my evo is without doubt the better off all the cars. I have a mate who has just sold his pulsar and bought an impreza. He said the impreza is far far better.
Thats enough said with his statment...lol

#9 ·
hehehe yeah i guess.. Nobody said anything about rust!
In northern sweden were I live we have freezing winter with lots of snow.. And thats not a good combination with cars that rusts easily... The temperature rises above -30 degrees CELSIUS..Thats cold..

#10 ·
Lanzer said:
hehehe yeah i guess.. Nobody said anything about rust!
Maybe that says something.

The Sunny's (UK Pulsar, only 70 odd made) which have been in the UK all their life will tend to rust like most UK cars do. The Pulsars which have been in the country for say 5 years or so shouldn't be anywhere near as bad. Externally my car is spotless, but I know the rust is starting underneath.

#13 ·
he he he.. actually, I was going for a pulsar, cause it´s more unusual in Sweden, but I want an evo too...

I said on the nissan forum that I was going for a pulsar due to price and so on etc etc.. But my friend has an evo IV and thats a lovely car.... I cant afford that car yet, but.... Damm... Tough choice.. I want both cars..

I must say that I´m very impressed by the evo. I´ve never driven a pulsar but I have tried an evo! So I was planning something like this: IF the pulsar is not the car I want I will buy an evo instantly, cause the market for pulsars is good in sweden and shouldnt be a problem to sell. And then i buy an evo and KEEPING IT! I feel the need to compare these two cars by driving them my self.. I know now a little more about the pulsar that i didnt know, like rusting, and you guys shall have credit for that info.

#14 ·
I think the pulsar are fun but from 2 reports on ex owners wouldnt bother. Im not saying evo's are perfect but they spent most off there pulsar life off the road. And the rust can be a problem, mainly the rear arches.
On the early evo's 1 and 2, they have a common fault with rusting on the roof. It develops on top off the roll bars and slowly rusts through. Not a massive issues but its best to sort it out before it gets to bad.
My evo1 is totally rust free aprt from 3 bubbles on the roof about 3mm's each.

#15 · (Edited)
well i have a pulsar my self, and im looking of going evo v/vi. i think bang for bucks there isnt anything quicker than a little R. in my opinion there great in a straight line and for launching off the line (as long as the g/box holds) but the handling isnt the best with even uprated shocks and springs, you do need to spend a far bit of money on coilovers and ARB's and bushes, bumpsteer kit etc, to get anywhere near the handling of a std EVO. And std brakes are terrible, you need to uprate them straight away to 4-pots.

rust wise yes they do rust on the rear arches, but the oldest ones are 17yrs old so its only to be expected.

i went for the pulsar because it was a little different to all the scoobs about. but looking to change now, as fun as it is going fast in a straight line it must be better going faster around the bends.

#18 ·
Ive had 6 pulsars and loved them all so i wont say a bad word againt them even if they do have thier faults (which every car does) im on my first evo and if i replace it it will just be with another one. So save time and money and go straight to an evo.

#20 ·
I know that the evo is a great car, but I have to try a pulsar to.

IF my friend with a standard evo IV outruns me or almost outrun me, I put up a sale of the car the same day. His drivingstyle is equal to mine so that is fair´n square.

Correct me if I´m wrong..

The evo IV weighs about 1360 kg or so, and the pulsar?
I dont know the weight.. Is it 1220 kg?

The evo 4 has circa 270 HP
the pulsar.. circa 220??
With my calculation this would mean that the pulsar has a weight/hp at 5,5 kg per hp.
The evo 4 has 5,0 kg per hp, IF i calculated this rght..

So, even if the evo 4 is heavyer, the kg per hp is better.
The match between these cars settles with the handling...

This is only my opinion, but please give mr feedback anyway.

#21 ·
Lanzer said:
The match between these cars settles with the handling...

Save your petrol and buy the evo then, I doubt theres anybody who would disagree that the evo's handling is better than the pulsars. If you want the best car buy the evo, If you want a quick car thats alittle different try the pulsar, there very quick for what they are and good fun to drive but they do need a fair bit of cash spent on improving the handling and brakes as, as std there quite poor in these departments.

#25 ·
Hej lanzer, hoppas du har haft en bra sommar. ive had a gtir and now own a evo6. I had the pulsar for 4 years and had the gearbox rebuilt once. it was running around 260bhp and i had a straight line race with my kompis in his evo5 running 320bhp. it was a dead heat. BUT herre gud the evo is a better car all round. i loved my gtir and still love them, but when i drove a evo 2 for the first time i knew that it was fasted and tighter than the pulsar. if you want rare in sweden and you want the experience get a pulsar, run it for 12 months then get the evo, you will have no problem selling a pulsar in sweden.

simon

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.