Lancer Register Forum banner

Wet weather driving

1K views 20 replies 17 participants last post by  Damd VI 
#1 ·
Looks like summers over

Who has confidence driving their evo quick in the wet? ??

I'm pottering about like an old granny (on AO48's though) incase i go into a spin!

2nd month of ownership and not really got the balls yet, or am i being :gay: ???

#2 ·
A couple of wet trackdays will do wonders for your confidence :D

Being :gay: is far cheaper than ending up in a hedge though :crackup: :crackup:

#5 ·
I have T1Rs on mine at the moment ... they are very progressive at the limit, and tend to understeer unless you make the car do otherwise :eek:

I suspect the A048s will give you less warning. Haven't tried the yet, but need to get something similar before next season's sprinting starts :)

#7 ·
Keep it smooth and progressive and no sudden inputs is the universal mantra for wet weather driving.

As far as the car goes, soften the dampers right down and use something other than the Yokos if there is alot of standing water around. If you hit a puddle at speed you WILL aquaplane!

#12 ·
I feel just as safe in the rain as I do in the dry. In some cases I'd go out for a drive on a rainy evening.

That was until a few weeks ago, full boost (only 0.78bar) on a wet straight, only about 60mph and I nearly lost the back, with oncoming traffic, hairy moment I must say, although after that I still felt ok going fast in the wet corners, because you're expecting the car to slide and the evo is an easy car to control :D

#13 ·
There's a large roundabout near me that used to be very slippy in the wet. Loads of accidents happened where cars had spun off into a fence. A work mate wrote his MGF off exiting the roundabout when he gave it too much throttle. Now they have resurfaced the exit of the roundabout with that grippy tarmac. They've taken away my fun. The EVO used to have a nice progressive slide on that wet roundabout and felt very controllable. No twitchiness whatsoever.

#14 ·
Interestin' thread as I don't have an evo (yet) and would like some idea of what to expect (although this would be hard to quantify I know), it might be a tad disconcerting for the owner trying to induce it on a test drive :D .

As someone who has driven Audi Quattro through to BMW M5, I have experienced both ends of the 'grip in the wet' spectrum and I had assumed that the 4wd of the Evo should give me a reassured drive in the wet, that my rwd Skyline didn't (which spent most of it's time flickering the tc light at me).

Have made the wrong assumption, is it not the same as a Scoopapoo, or is it because there is so much power there that it just breaks traction?

The Quattro stuck like **** to a blanket until you reached the edge and then all four wheels broke at once, is the EVO similar?

Your thoughts appreciated.

#15 ·
I have never got to the stage where the EVO just broke away. It starts to go progressively and I've never not been able to hold onto it. Obviously if you push it beyond the laws of physics then it will end in tears as EVO magazine found out. It is labelled as the uncrashable car, but this is simply a myth.

You just have to have faith in the AYC which felt strange when I first drove the EVO hard on a wet road.

In a straightline, even under full throttle mine has never fish tailed, it just launches and grips.

If your anywhere near Corby, go pay Simon a visit at Corby Ralliart and ask him to take you out for a test drive. He can do things with an EVO I didn't think were possible. :D

#16 ·
Mick429 said:
A couple of wet trackdays will do wonders for your confidence :D
I think this is the most important post on here - go to some wet track days, sprints etc - great fun :D

Learning where the threshold of grip is, and what happens when you reach it could save you & your EVO if/when you hit a slidey bit of road...

Getting your geometry set up right and using decent tyres (I love my T1-Ss in the wet :D ) will allow you to drive your EVO at incredible speeds in the wet, but you also need to note where there are ultra low grip spots, like roundabouts, standing water etc...

Have fun - safely :coolsm:

Rog

#21 ·
The Admiral said:
I think this is the most important post on here - go to some wet track days, sprints etc - great fun :D

Learning where the threshold of grip is, and what happens when you reach it could save you & your EVO if/when you hit a slidey bit of road...

Getting your geometry set up right and using decent tyres (I love my T1-Ss in the wet :D ) will allow you to drive your EVO at incredible speeds in the wet, but you also need to note where there are ultra low grip spots, like roundabouts, standing water etc...

Have fun - safely :coolsm:

Rog
Absolutely Rog. Far too many people don't take the time to understand and learn what happens when the grip runs out, then expires.

If they did, they'll find it's not a rigid but flexible line, and is something to be respected not feared.

I run my 888's in the wet. Yes you need to be carefull of standing water, but on a "damp" surface, you still have more grip than my wife does in her "normally" shod IV.

The yoko's will be fine. Just don't be daft with anything, and let them get 10 min or so to heat up a bit 1st before you try pushing the envelope.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.