Lancer Register Forum banner

High power daily driver

1K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  Derek D 
#1 ·
After 2 years of Evo ownership i'm looking for something else.

My cars standard, so i'm going to sell it this way and buy something thats already tuned.

What i want to know is, how much power is ok for daily driving?

I'd like something around the 450 mark would this be 2 much?

#3 ·
Yes i suppose, just wondered on the drivability of a bigger turbo'd with paddle/twin plate clutch etc.

I do some town driving, i barely get about 20mph on the way to work. A standard evo fine with this.

But then come night i'l take it for a blast and crave more power.

#5 ·
RickyLee53 said:
Yes i suppose, just wondered on the drivability of a bigger turbo'd with paddle/twin plate clutch etc.

I do some town driving, i barely get about 20mph on the way to work. A standard evo fine with this.

But then come night i'l take it for a blast and crave more power.
My car is considered a daily driver but isnt actually used daily. I live in central london and traffic is something you just have to live with. I run around 630hp and its fine although the clutch is bordering annoying when its stop start traffic - its a HD Exedy Twin Plate.

I would think that if you ran up to 500hp that you could use a much milder clutch that wouldnt pose the same issues.

Apart from that despite larger size turbo its has alot of low down torque, but then again the stroker helps alot.

#6 ·
Thanks for your reply. Sorry to the other guys with later cars.

But your 420-430bhp is much easier acheive, and really they could be pretty stock to get this power.

I'm talking about older evo's with strokers etc.

#9 ·
My Evo 6 is currently running 400 bhp (although it's still a 2.0 litre non-stroked) and that's perfectly fine as a daily driver. It's the only car I use and I have no issues at all.

The clutch is firm but not too heavy and because I'm still running a standard 6 turbo the spool is quick and strong, although I'm looking to upgrade to an Evo 9 GT turbo with a larger front mounted IC soon to give an even faster spool and a little more power.

Doubt I'll try for much more power right now as the internals are standard apart from the uprated rod bolts, and I haven't the money for forging the internals yet.

#11 ·
Uncle Winnet said:
i use mine every day in all kinds off trafic and its fine i like the way that the 2.3 has lots off low down torque. so it pulls very well also love the way that i can chage the boost seting from 1.4 bar to 1.8 and 2.1 on the avcr

john
Your reply is the most relevant ;)

karlosg said:
what model of evo are you talking about?
The 1 above you ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.